𝑴𝒂𝒚𝒃𝒆 𝑰 𝑺𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝑺𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝑭𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑬𝒏𝒅

Fort Valley, Georgia

Hailey coughed, rolling over on her back. Her heart beating super fast.

Hope sat up, soot covering her.

There's something I need to tell you.

Landon and Alaric woke up with a groan. Hope stood to her feet, then helped Hailey up.

I just don't know how.

Hailey stared at the hole in the ground with furrowed brows. Alaric and Landon climbed to their feet.

So, to make you understand, maybe I should start from the end.

"Where the hell are we?" Landon asked. "What happened?"

"I don't know." Alaric said. "But I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."

Hope and Hailey shared a look, turning to the guys in confusion.

On second thought, I'll just start at the beginning.

Three days ago

I knew Landon needed me, and at the time, that's all I needed to know.

Hope and Hailey snuck downstairs, planning on sneaking out. Hope went in Ric's office to steal the car keys while Hailey kept watch.

They were so close to making it out of there.

"Going somewhere?" Ric asked.

Hope sighed, turning to him. Hailey groaned.

"Better questions, where the hell do you think you're going with my keys and without telling me?" Ric narrowed his eyes on the girls.

"Um, you know, I just said some really harsh things to you yesterday, and so I just wanted to get you an oil change as a peace offering." Hope lied.

Ric scoffed. "At 3 A.M.? Hope, you don't have a driver's license? You were gonna commit grand theft auto, which is a felony."

"That's why Hailey is here." Hope said.

"You're ditching school right before the midterm exams begin, and you've made it very clear to me that you see me as an authority figure and nothing more. So tell me, why shouldn't I suspend you both this very second?" Hope showed him her bracelet. "And what is that?"

"It's basically a supernatural compass." Hope told him.

"Well, I hope it's pointing you both to your room cause that's where you're going." Ric said.

"Landon's in trouble." Hailey gave her father figure a look. "And we're going with or without your permission."

Hope smirked, proud of Hailey for sticking up for them.

Alaric studied Hailey's expression. "Then we're going, and I'm driving."

I didn't know it yet but Landon was in Kansas looking for his mom. He had no idea what he was walking into. None of us did.

~~~

Hailey fell asleep in the back as Alaric drove the car. Alaric glanced back at the blonde before focusing on the road again.

"How is she doing?" Alaric asked the tribrid.

"She's trying to pretend to be fine. But Hailey... died. She's traumatized. And she really needs the people who love her around." Hope stated, thinking about her mother. "She needs Caroline."

"Then why didnt she join the girls to Europe?" Ric frowned.

Hope hesitated. "When my dad wouldn't call me, it hurt so much. I had my mom, but nothing could fill that piece that needed my father." Hope took a deep breath. "Hailey never met her parents so nothing could ever fill that missing hole. But she has Caroline, the twins, even you. That still doesn't stop the hurt she feels when Caroline didn't come see her. And then she got her spleen cut out and bled to death. Somehow she came back to life. But she needs Caroline, more than anything. Because I know how she feels. Lonely and needing her family."