12. Always Expect the Unexpected

Eliana

"Amazing," I said, exasperated. "You managed to play that video game for seven hours straight. How DO you do it?"

"Oh please. it's only been-" Darian checked his watch. "Six hours and 38 minutes!" he rolled his eyes.

"Well if you wanna be all technical.." I stood up from the bed next to him and started out of his room. 

"Oh wait, Elie. Could you do something for me?" Darian asked from behind me. 

"Depends." I turned. 

"Could you grab the Aspirin for me? I'm starting to get a headache."

"Please, D. Your legs work, you can get it yourself." I flicked my hand at him. "Besides, you can get the Aspirin ten times faster than I can."

"Very true," he agreed, "but I don't really feel like it."

"Oh fine." I walked over to the bathroom, grabbed the aspirin, and walked back over to Darian's room. I threw it to him.

"Yes!" Darian cheered as he caught the bottle, then groaned. "Man, my head really hurts." 

"Well maybe you shouldn't have played Mission Gemini for so long."

"I can't help it, it's just so addicting," he sighed.

"All you do is hunt down specific criminals in the city of Gemini, kill them, steal back their stolen treasures, and take your pudgy boss's money to the bank."

"And how is that not awesome?"

"You don't even get any of they money yourself. And the graphics look like they were drawn by a six-year-old and digitalised to 3D by amateur game creators."

"Ugh, think what you want, but you don't have to yell at me about it." 

Darian held his head and squeezed his eyes shut.

 I walked over to D and sat next to him, taking his hands from his head. "D, is it really that bad?" Concerned, I felt his soft forehead and cheeks, and they felt way too warm for comfort.

"I don't- know.." 

"Here, lay down, I'll get you some water." I made my way over to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge. When I was back in Darian's room, he had taken off his shirt and lied down, eyes closed.

"Are you still awake, Darian?" I whispered, kneeling on the floor next to his bed.

"Yeah. Do you have the water?" 

"Here," I handed him the water. I opened the Aspirin bottle, rattled it until two pills spilled out, and closed the lid. I handed him the pills. "Take these, then drink the water."

"Thanks," D's eyes narrowed. "I really hate pills."

"I know you do but they're good for you. Just take them and you'll feel better." I pat his shoulder encouragingly and left the room. 

I sat down on the living room couch, wondering what I should do, when the house phone rang.

I walked over to it, and the caller ID said "Jensen, Samuel."

Wonder who that is.

"Skye Family residence." I politely recited in the speaker.

"Hello," a male voice replied, "Is Eliana available?"

"This is Eliana." 

"Eliana, hi! My name is Samuel Jensen. I've heard that you've recently visited a doctor by the name of Jonathan Reynolds?"