13. Some Roses are Black and Blue.

For three days straight, Quaid had been bugged by an overwhelming presence of someone who wasn't supposed to get this close to a subordinate way below his rank. Although Amr still made him lose composure most of the time, his heart was already getting used to having the man around.

"Why does the new CFO keep on coming here?" Mila asked him in a low voice when she saw the boss walking towards their department again.

Quaid just shrugged his shoulders as an answer and immediately went towards the next patient in his schedule. Not even a minute after, Amr was already walking beside him.

"Until what time is your shift today?"

"Sir..." He sighed and the confusion in his voice was apparent. "I don't know why you're doing this. Is it fun teasing me?" He tried to walk faster but with the other's long legs, it didn't make any difference at all.

"Is that what you think?"

"I don't know what to think anymore."

"I like you." Amr took a step ahead and blocked his path, making him stop and face the latter. He seriously looked directly at the young man's eyes and repeated. This time, his voice was firmer and stronger, sounding like he really wanted to make sure the young man heard him nice and clear. "I like you."

For a moment, Quaid's eyes widened in disbelief but he was able to gather his thoughts quickly. "Did I really look that stupid that you find it amusing now to play with me?" He lightly shook his head. "Sir, please stop. I can't afford this game."

"Who said I want to play?"

Quaid looked up to meet the latter's eyes. "I know I'm stupid and I look so easy to toy around. It's my fault, I can't hide anything." He steeled himself to redeem his broken esteem, "But I don't have any more room in my heart for you, Sir. For whatever you want to do. For whatever you intend to achieve from this. I'm too small compared to you so please... please look pass me. Find someone else."

Before his weakness and self-pity hit him like a machete, he quickly left. Amr was rooted in the hallway dumbfounded. He shook his head and brushed his fingers through his hair in a mixture of frustration and desperation. "Play? Stupid? Where did all of that come from? I'm being serious here."

He decided not to follow Quaid anymore and give the young man a bit of space before approaching him again.

What he didn't know was that, there were two people who heard their conversation.

Von was discussing a patient's progressing lung condition with an Oncologist when they heard two people seemingly having a very serious conversation. Since one of the voices was very familiar to him, he couldn't help himself from stopping and eavesdropping.

"Dr. Zatoun? Are you okay?" Dr. Doerr noticed the tight grip of his fellow doctor on the chart and the veins popping in the latter's hand and even in his head's temples. He just started in this hospital so he had no idea what could possibly enrage the doctor this much. The man's teeth were even obviously clenched in anger.

"I'm sorry Dr. Doerr, I think we have to continue this discussion some other time. I just remembered I have something to do this evening."

"Sure, sure. I'll see you next time then." He smiled and quickly excused himself from the scene.

Von remained standing on the same spot for a while. His mind was running miles in a second and his chest was drumming like thunder. "Quaid." Between clenched teeth, he mentioned a syllable.

"Why are you rushing off work this time? Not in the mood for an overtime?" Mila noticed her friend already preparing to leave.

"Not today." He turned to look at her and smiled. He received a message from Von earlier and the latter seemed to have missed him a lot. This really made him so happy since they fought more frequently lately even with petty things.