CHAPTER 16

JUNE 09, 2018

Rose Love Paul

I woke up and Kiran called my name over and over again. I felt disorganised and it took a lot of energy to move a muscle from my body. Not to mention the frantic headache that made me want to puke. I surveyed my surroundings, then I realised that I was in our bedroom. Last night scenes flooded my mind and I searched for Jacob.

"Oh thank god, you're awake!" Kiran cheered gratefully, touching my forehead. Though I remembered most of the events, I didn't know how I landed in my room. "What happened?" I asked in a whisper. "Water..."

I was in a desperate need of water to wet my dry painful throat. Kiran poured a glass of hot water and handed me the glass with great care. "It's hot!"

"It's good for your throat!" said Kiran and without further argument, I took a few sips from the cup. "Kiran, it's too hot!"

Taking another glass, Kiran poured water from another jug and gave it to me, I hungrily gulped the water without any decency like a starved skeleton in the desert. Finishing the last drop, "What happened?" I managed to ask after finding my new energy inside me.

"Rose! You got a fever and you were unconscious for the whole day..."

"Whole day?"

"It's evening!"

"What?"

"Today morning you didn't wake up at the usual time. Then...Jacob brought a doctor to check your vitals and...you...were sick. The doctor said you will be fine after a complete rest."

"That's all?"

"That's all! What do you expect more than that?" asked Kiran, changing the sheets in the bed. "Wait! Let me sit on the couch," I said and stood from the bed. The minute I stood, I held my head with both hands as I couldn't bear the headache.

"Let me help you!" Kiran came to the side and helped me sit on the couch.

"Wait till you have something inside your stomach, then you can have the medicines," said Kiran and left our room. I was still confused and too shocked and my head felt like it would explode anytime soon.

Who brought me here?

"I brought you here and...you were unconscious the whole night, I changed your clothes and brought you to this room early morning. Don't think much, Kiran doesn't know you were gone for the whole night," said Jacob entering inside my room with a tray in his hand.

"I'm having a horrible headache!" I said.

"Have this," he took a seat near me and gave a bowl full of porridge. "Trust me! It tastes good!"

I took the spoon from the tray and dipped it inside the porridge thinking about Kiran. "Where is Kiran?"

Jacob shrugged his shoulder and took a spoonful of porridge and extended it to my mouth. "Eat this! You can worry later after you find your health."

"Kir.." Jacob forced the spoon inside my mouth and my taste buds activated on its own signalling my stomach and it argued for more food. Jacob fed me the entire bowl not caring about Kiran.

"Jacob! I can eat on my own..." I reasoned but he didn't care and fed me until I was full.

After having the entire bowl, my body found its lost freedom. "Rose! I need you to take these pills, one is for headache and another one for reducing your temperature," he gave me one white and orange coloured pill. I slowly drank the water swallowing the pills in the process.

"Though...it's wrong, it's nice!"

"What's nice?" asked Jacob, pouring another glass of water. Though I wasn't in need of water, I gratefully took it from his hand brushing his fingers.

"Nothing, nothing to worry about," I said and gave a tight smile.

Nothing to worry about? I have two partners in my life at present, one is wedded lawfully while other is tied to me with love. Though both hold different and equal places in my heart, I don't understand my position in between them. Both are trying their best to take care of me even in sickness and health.

"I'm sorry! I wasn't much help...." said Jacob apologetically.

"Why are you apologizing?" I was unsure of his sudden change in behaviour.

"Is it...too much pressure. Am I pushing you too much...Ro..sa!"

"Jacob, You!" I pointed my finger at him. "You have to trust me!" I threw my arms in the air, exasperated. "For as long as I can remember, I was the one who gave you this fourteen...days..."

"Don't talk like that! I'm in need of you and I pushed you to the edge and so..."

I took a sip from the glass not listening to his blabber and Kissed him on his lips not giving him the option to finish it further. Though he was little agitated at first, he continued but his lips moved just like a feather and not more than that. When I was done, I parted from him and looked at his tired eyes.

"You didn't sleep?" I asked him and he gave me a tight hug dismissing my question.

"I couldn't believe it...Rosa! I couldn't believe how much I love you!" I paled at the bluntness of his sweet words.

"Aren't you going to answer me?" I asked him mockingly.

"No one was there to take care of you last night, I don't want to disturb Kiran...and also it would raise unnecessary questions, so..."

"So...you ignored your sleep?"

"Ros..."

"Am so sorry for worrying and keeping you away from your sleep Jacob but now I'm completely fine, you can go and take some rest," I said rubbing his back soothingly.

"Rosa! How can I not worry about you...especially if you are doing stunts like that in the middle of the night." He extended his palm to me, "Rose! Promise me...you won't suffer alone...like last night!"

The atmosphere was chilly and no words came out of my mouth. His arms were steady, not moving an inch. I placed my hand on his palm and pulled his hand to my chest along with mine. "Do you feel it?" I asked after seconds.

His eyes burned through me but he nodded his head. "Jacob! I know I can't run. So...please stop caring, it's already hard for me!"

His eyes welled up on his own and his lips trembled. Like a puppet, a junior scientist is controlled by the strings of a human emotion.

"I understand!" with that, he reached the tray and left me alone in my own world.

Why does it feel good to hurt someone emotionally! It's simple, I want him to hurt me in the same way, so that...Kiran would be safe from this banned love affair. Jacob! Forget what hurt you but never forget what it taught you. Bleeding cracks are more hurtful than a bleeding wound. Some people cannot love you the way you want to be loved and I am one among them. But I can do anything for my dear Kiran, so bear the pain Jacob, you are capable of bearing my betrayals and hurtful words. One day you will have a Rose to hate!

"Where were you? Help me Kiran!" I stood from the couch walking towards my darling.

"Did that man give you food Rose?" asked Kiran, handing me my cell phone.

"Who is in the line?"

"Though..."

"I will answer later," I said, disconnecting the call.

"Wh..." before Kiran could pester more I placed my lips gently on my coffee donor's lips sealing our love.

"Why do I smell...Jacob on you Rose?"