CHAPTER 11

JUNE 04, 2018

Rose Love Paul

'You and I, we're like fireworks and symphonies                                                                                                Exploding in the sky                                                                                                                                                      With you, I'm alive                                                                                                                                                         Like the missing pieces of my heart, they finally collide...'

I heard it full-throated and clear. I checked the time on my mobile, it was past 3:00 am in the morning. Kiran was sleeping peacefully next to me without any trouble. Again the song continued but this time along with the piano. Only Jacob stays with us in this house and who might it be? My mind wondered about all the possibilities. I removed the comforter from my body and placed a pillow near Kiran. In case Kiran shouldn't know I was gone. I walked slowly holding my mobile torch in my hand. It must be Jacob, but why is he singing sadly at this time. Is he alright? After a couple of strides, I was standing in front of his room and now the voice was very upset, yet soft. The voice took me somewhere where I never travelled. Not able to confine anymore, I pushed the door hard and it banged loud, I was frantic it would disturb the person who was singing. But no! The song followed despite my commotion. I took my first step inside the room followed by my next, I stood in the middle of the room watching him sing this sad song. The song itself is very sad and he has the power to make it sadder than ever. In addition to that he played his piano, he was very competent and skilled in the keys. As a piano player, the least I can do is identify whether a person is good or not. This man is amazing! He does have professionalism. He not once lifted his head and looked at me. I waited for him to complete.

'Without you, I'm just a sad song, I'm just a sad song...'

"You are indeed a sterling singer," I said and walked towards him not bothering about his heated gaze and took a seat next to him in front of the piano. We sat there comfortably, no words exchanged between us, I enjoyed this silence and I didn't know why?

"I know you would come!" he said, studying the piano.

"Am here, don't I?" I took a deep breath. "Look at my face and tell me or else..."

"I know you would come Rosa, come for me," this time he said facing my direction. "It was a test I conducted for myself, I...wanted to see whether you would come for me? And guess what..." he raised his eyebrow and I waited for him to continue. "Guess what? I have passed Rosa!" he said showing his blowing smile. The yellowish light was so dim and Jacob glowed like a yellow ginkgo leaf.

"You glow like a yellow ginkgo leaf," I said, not taking my eyes from his face. "Ahh...why do you say you have passed? Isn't...the other way? I followed your voice, so I think I was the one who passed your test," I said laughing nervously.

He stayed silent for a moment and blinked his eyes twice. "I like you Rosa, so...I have passed my test," he replied. "By the way what is that line you used earlier..."

"What line?" I asked confused.

"Something like...like a ginkgo leaf?"

"You heard it?" I asked, feeling embarrassed.

"It was loud enough and my eardrums were functioning perfectly. Now answer me, Rosa! What's that ginkgo leaf?" he said holding my chin with his thumb and forefinger.