41. Stranger On The Scene

Comenzar desde el principio

She grimaced. "Do I have to?"

The young cop couldn't contain his grin seeing her pout like a child. His hand reached out before he could stop it, patting her head softly. With her flinching, he understood she was not expecting that. When she raised her head to look up at him, he couldn't help but get lost, momentarily, in her startled green hues of her eyes. He wasn't so certain before but now, he was. He had seen the fire in her from the start but now that he had witnessed it in action, he felt that he couldn't stay away. "Yes," he nodded, "you have to."

Why should he stand down in the first place? She had already confided in him about that man named Jason and what they truly were to each other. Even if the guy was interested in her, that didn't mean she wanted him. That was enough for him.

Finally breaking that gaze, she gave off yet another sigh bringing him back to awareness. "I'm done in," the girl complained.

Lance chuckled softly. "Don't worry, I'll bring you home."

"But-" Florence raised her finger to protest but Lance have it.

"I'll bring you home, myself."

The brunette glanced behind her. "But my car is-"

The man raised his hand, refusing to listen further. "I won't let you return home alone tonight." Seeing as she was still not convinced, he decided to add, "the decision has been made."

Florence breathed out and lowered her shoulders in defeat. She could also see that the cop was pleased at her not protesting anymore. She allowed him to move a hand over her shoulder, leading her out of the police line and towards what she guessed to be his car.

In all honesty, she appreciated his gesture. The day wasn't nearly over, yet she was all in. It had been a long day. First it was that devilish Mafioso and then those thieves. Just encountering the first, she felt like she couldn't do anything more but the second situation? Seeing Tristan alone all but gave her a heart attack. Then she followed with a panic attack when the thieves came.

It has been so long since she had something like that. Before her brother disappeared, she had very intense dreams about him- dreams that she confided in him about. From the day her brother was found she became sensitive to loud and abrupt sounds for a while. She hadn't had something like this for years though. Why now? Well, not that what had happened was a trivial matter...

Somehow, they had reached the car and only then did she look up to realize. She took a look around her, feeling almost disoriented. She noticed the police men that were coming out of the bank, the ones that spoke to the witnesses. She noted of the paramedics and the media a bit further. Everyone was in place so it was probably just her.

Her eyes squinted, trying to decipher the characteristics of some people in the distance. The flashing light of the police vehicles helped on occasion when they turned their way. It was a small group of three people, all dressed formally just across the street. They seemed to observe the scene all while checking some documents that one of them held. Who were they?

Abruptly, one of them seemed to turn her way. She almost stepped back. He was staring right at her! It was dark, she couldn't see his face, but the height, the physique, the way the man carried himself... Something about him was just too familiar.

Then the lights shone at him... and a lone tear broke free...

The ginger hair... the shape of his face... the shape of his nose and lips... everything was just like-

"Florence?"

-The one she'd never forgotten... the one person who haunted her conscience for years after his passing. The only thing she could not see was the color of his eyes.