19. All Is Revealed

Randy crossed his arms in front of his muscular torso. A frown playing on his face, "...and those people... they didn't consider checking the bathroom? It sounds stupid on their part."

"The bathroom was kinda' hard to find, actually. I asked twice before getting the hint..."Florence replied, playing with a curl. The two have been talking for quite a while now. They were mildly arguing back and forward about the incident. She left out almost every detail though. She hadn't actually given it a lot of thought.

What Randy knows from her story is that she never actually saw their faces, nor did she interact with any of them. The thought actually played on her lips for quite a while but there was one thing that kept her back eventually...

Jason mentioned that Angelo has dirty cops roaming the streets of New York. Randy trusts his fellow police men and this could be the litharge needed for him to become the victim of this whole endeavor and she didn't want that to happen. He has a wife and two kids and she wouldn't want them to separate because of such monstrous people.

"Do you remember anything more specific?" The man sighed.

The brunette shook her head softly, pressing her lips a bit to make her answer obvious. "The gunshots were loud... and... continued for a while." She took in an inaudible breath. She decided to give him a few hints here and there, hoping that he will at least have an idea as to who the culprit is. "From a bullet hole created on the wall I could see people with suits, but no faces.... They appeared professionals... They had their back to the wall so I couldn't see much," and they couldn't see her; that's what probably saved her too.

"How did you leave the building without being seen? Most importantly, why didn't any police officers found you there to help you? Why didn't you come forward?" She could tell he was irritated but his voice remained polite and composed as he scolded her.

Her lips parted, considering her words thoroughly before speaking them. "I left from another exit. I didn't want to talk to any police officers because something didn't seem right."

"Why are you saying that?" The man furrowed his brow and pouted his lips in thought.

"Well, for one, I was afraid I might bump into those people..." She took a sharp intake, "and, secondly, I feared that the cops would keep me under their radar after what happened." She raised her shoulders. "Who knows? Perhaps blaming me for what occurred would make their job much easier for them." The girl raised her eyebrows knowingly at her elder.

The last part was less likely and she was aware of that. Even if she carried a gun in her purse, she would have never fired. If they happen to find an excuse like; 'you just emptied an entire magazine to everyone present, and then reloaded it', subsequently, all it would take would be a quick examination to the bullets fired to be compared with the ones from her own weapon. Once they realized there was no match she would be free to go... not that things would really be that simple but... a girl can hope...

She was starting to believe that Jason was right about not trusting the officers... there might be some truth behind his belief...

Randy knew she was a smart one but he didn't know the extent... She showed him once but everyone could have guessed, just like she had. The point was; she needed to appear ignorant for a couple of things so as to not get in trouble.

She watched as Randy cupped his face in his hands, sighing tiredly as he rubbed his eyes. "Alright, let me come back to our previous concern; how can you be certain that it was your cousin?"When his eyes took notice of her mild grimace and obvious hesitation he smiled. "You know you can trust me, child."