28. Down To Important Matters

A long sigh resonated throughout the entire study as Jason placed his elbow atop of his desk, resting his forehead on his knuckles

He's been studying the footage from the hidden cameras in Dallas, trying to detect any suspicious behavior from his workers before the attack in his stock-house.

Another huff escaped his lips.

Orlando paced a bit closer, his chocolate dark hands were folded over his chest, approaching the youth with pouty lips and narrowed eyes, nodding his head every so often. He understood how tired his boss was. He's been in front of that screen for hours after hours. He had tried asking him how it's been during their way back home but he was pretty much reluctant to explain, or talking in general. He had yet to shed light on what really happened at the café.

Zane was a bit closer to Jason, his palm taking a hold of the desk, leaning closer so he can keep a watchful eye on the long footage.

Jason rubbed his temples for the fiftieth time. "Nothing seems out of the ordinary so far. How long before the attack?"

"Three hours." Orlando's deep voice cut through the air like a sharp dagger. His answer earned another puff from Jason.

"I did check the footage; I don't understand why you insist on re-watching it," Zane muttered softly over his boss.

"I just want to be thorough," Jason explained as his hands clutched a bunch of papers on his desk. With one hand supporting the youth's head, the other paused the footage. He got off his seat, the papers still clutched in his hand. His eyes trailed up to Zane who was obviously blocking his path, sending him a meaningful stare. The man was quick on the uptake, leaving his path swiftly. "Let's go to the others."

Orlando was just behind his tail, trying to match his boss's pace. "Are we finally gonna t-"

"Yes." Jason's voice cut him off with indifference in his tone. With that he led the way, leaving no room for discussion. They paced silently through a narrow hallway, a single piece of art stranded on the wall as they passed. Jason stopped soon after he got by it, entering through one of the many doors, followed by Orlando and Zane.

The youth didn't bother addressing to any of the members of his family as he stepped in, having his head buried in the paperwork he cradled in his arms. He did, however, notice everyone stand up from their seats through his curly eyelashes. The gesture was merely out of respect. That's how they always started their meetings. This was a delicate business after all.

Finally, after setting the papers down, Jason looked up. His eyes trailed every corner, addressing every single one of the members that stood proudly around the oval table. They stared back, waiting for him to give them confirmation.

Just as both Zane and Orlando took the first seats closer to him, Jason nodded. Everyone sat down quietly, crossing their fingers over the table awaiting for their boss to speak.