Chapter 11: Finding Meaning

It's the 6th day of Kiara teaching the trainees and she was surprised at how well they picked up using a bow. Most of them were now at least able to hit the target a few could even hit a bullseye, Fin, Taylor, and Alex could all hit the bullseye without much effort. Roxas would hit it now and then, he was a good kid if he could ever learn to keep his mouth shut.

Roxas annoyed the crap out of Kiara, but she had to admit his talent. Fin was also extremely talented, he was also much better to work with. 

Axil still joined Kiara on her training just as she sat and watched his hand-to-hand combat class. Even helping him sometimes. But today she was alone, Axil was on hunting duty. He left Charles in charge of his combat class. The poor group was worked to the bone.

Charles was a perfectionist and would wack their bodies into proper positions. Kiara would cringe every time Charles corrected someone.

She decided she would go easy on the poor kids today. 

"Alright, everyone! I know you all had a rough hand-to-hand lesson today. So I'll just have you all pick a weapon of your choice and let you all spar. I won't be correcting any forms unless you ask me then I will. But I just want you all to practice your combat skills and just relax. I'll even cut the time short today so you all can rest."

"So, give it your all until the sun is at its peak then you may leave. And since there's an odd number of you. There can either be a group of three sparing or I can spar with one of you," Kiara offers.

"Any volunteers?" Kiara asks. Instantly Roxas' hand went up but that was about it.

"C'mon Kiara! Pick me!" Roxas shouts.

"Roxas, you are the only one stupid enough to fight Kiara," Daniel, the boy with green eyes and non-follow through punches.

"That was hand to hand combat, this is weapons," Roxas snaps at him.

"Yeah but she's even better at weapons, Axil already told us that," Daniel says laughing at Roxas. The two seemed close they must be good friends outside of class.

"Alright, Roxas you asked for it."  

"Alright everyone buddy up," Kiara ordered as she walked to the weapons shelf and grabbed a knightly sword. Swinging it around testing its weight, it wasn't as evenly weighted as a katana but it would do.

Roxas grabbed a short sword and did some nifty swings with it clearly showing off.

"I've yet to teach you about swords and it shows," Kiara says.

"That's what you think," Roxas says laughing. His heterochromatic eyes squinted with concentration.

He made the first move swing towards Kiara's shoulder but she blocked it with her own.

"C'mon hotshot, You gotta do better than that!" Kiara said feeling the thrill of training again. It felt good to be moving again. He growled as he swings at her again adding more strength to the blow.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk, keep trying," Kiara said. Roxas kept swinging and Kiara kept blocking his sword and knocking it aside. He was getting increasingly tired and his moves even more sloppy.

"Alright, I'm done blocking you now, get ready. Here I come!" Kiara said raising her sword and in a blur of movement she brought it down on him. He barely managed to meet swords with her. She pushed on their blades, making his arms shake in the effort.

She backed off. The clang of their swords meeting rung through the air. This felt good and made Kiara feel normal again. 

Then like he'd been holding back he started coming at her with sharper more fluent movements.