Chapter 5: An Alliance?

Kiara's body felt heavy and oddly... wet. Kiara slowly blinked open her eyes and saw a bunch of trees overhead and felt a warm fire next to her.

"Kol! I think she's awake!" the excited voice of a little girl spoke.

"About time princess," the face of the Dragon Prince appeared. Kiara instantly scrambled away and backed into a tree.

"Whow there, princess," the Dragon prince says laughing.

"Why am I so close to the fire and with you?" Kiara asks.

"Well you were soaked and we kind of jumped off a cliff into a waterfall to save  Annalise here," the prince says pointing to the little girl from the cave

"Oh, right." Kiara laughs," And where are we?"

"Somewhere where the river got calmer and Annalise and I could climb out with you," the prince says.

"Did you all make it through the river alright?" Kiara asks.

"Yeah, but it was a bit difficult to carry a knocked out fairy. You're much lighter than you look, princess," he says.

"It's because my bones have air pockets and it makes it easier to fly. Also, can you stop calling me princess? My name is Kiara," Kiara says annoyed.

"Nice to know princess, my name's Kol," Kol says laughing as Kiara's eyes narrowed.

"And you must be Annalise," Kiara says ignoring Kol.

"Yeah," the little girl says pushing her black hair behind her ear. Kiara stands and stretches out a bit.

"So, what now?" Kiara asks looking at Kol.

"Dunno, when I jumped I didn't think of a plan. I just jumped," Kol says shrugging.

"Well, now we got two people with poor decision making," Kiara says walking and plopping down next to the son of her worst enemy.

"Can't you just go back to your kingdom?" Kol asks.

"No, I choose to save dragon royalty, when I couldn't even save my own father," Kiara says as she grows the moss of one of the trees near her.

"Your father wasn't your fault. You were busy fighting," Kol says bumping her shoulder lightly.

"No, you don't understand this was my first day in battle and I already let one of my companions die. I'll never be fit to be Queen," Kiara said anger lacing her voice.

"Not, everyone is meant to be royal," Annalise says sitting closely to Kiara.

"I suppose, you're correct but I was hoping that someday my brother and I can rule together. Not in like an incest kind of way and have kids. But where both of us would be there to help the other," Kiara said clutching her fist in anger. 

"You two did seem pretty in sync," Kol says.

"Enough of regrets, can you actually control the colour of your eyes? And regulate your own body temperature?" Kiara asked turning to Kol. 

"The eye thing some can some can't. Every dragon can regulate their body temp," Kol says laughing.

"Oh and do you all have actual Dragons, you know with wings?" Kiara asks.

"Yes, but they're very headstrong and only a handful of people can actually ride them," Kol says.

"One last question, can you all really speak to each other-and actual dragons- with your minds?" Kiara asks.

"No for the most part. There is at least, however, one per generation. This generation's is Annalise here," Kol says.

"And how does she do it? Can she speak with more than one person at a time? Ooooh, and can she connect minds?" Kiara asks amazed.