Chapter 8: The Planting of New Roots

Kiara never wanted her brother more than at this moment being surrounded by a bunch of strangers. She missed him deeply, he must know she's alive right? No, Kiara shook her head no falling into more mental traps like that. She looked over at Axil who continued to talk to the group explaining what exactly needed to happen. They seemed to act completely different than any fairies she'd ever met. Alex would have a fit at how long they're taking to plan this out.

Right now, she was sitting in the middle of an open area in the forest. Her last spiral was a few weeks ago and since then she wished she could hug her brother again. He always found ways to calm her down. For being as cold as everyone thinks he is he was kind to Kiara. They understood one another better than they understood themselves. If Alexander was here he'd know exactly what to do to help her.

A chill passed over her and tears sprung to her eyes as the wind blew her hair lightly. Axil seemed to notice her distress and quickly finished his ordering around. He came and sat next to her, his eyes scanning her checking her stability. Since he stopped her from tearing herself up, the elders assigned him as her personal bodyguard, but it was more like he was a companion.

He always seemed to know when she was slipping into a spiral, even when he was asleep. It was almost kind of creepy.

"You, Okay? You seem sad," He says.

"Yeah, I am," Kiara says her voice thin and on the verge of breaking.

"Why?" he asks.

"I miss my brother. He's all I have left and I'm sure he'd know exactly what to do right now. He's so smart. It's hard being away from him this long. He and I have been together since birth," Kiara says her face releasing a small smile at the thought of her brother.

"This is a new one. Usually this about how you feel like you need to help the dragon royalty," Axil says.

"Yeah, well I guess I've been getting settled now, and watching all the family interactions is making me think more about Alexander," Kiara says laying back on the grass her chest flaring up in pain as she moved. It had stopped bleeding and it didn't seem to be getting infected but it didn't seem to be getting better either.

"I know you can never replace your brother but everyone here thinks of you as a member of the tribe," Axil says looking over the people and his soldiers practising.

"When will I start fighting again?" Kiara asks.

"As soon as that heals," he says pointing to the engraves she'd made on herself.

"But I don't think they'll ever heal, it's been two weeks and they still feel raw."

"I dunno, Helena is trying to find a cure. But we've never seen anything like this before."

"Yeah, yeah you think it's related to my elements, but I don't they're coming back and I really wish this would heal. It frustrating not even being able to see if I can fly or shrink! I want to know I can at least do something," Kiara said her voice strained.

"How about since we can't do anything for you physically we start with your mentality. After their training, then we'll have dinner after that you and I are going to sit down. You're going to try and tell me as many negative thought as you can." Axil says.

"Okay, but how will that help?"

"That way we can correct each thought with a new one," Axil says laying next to her on the grass.

"Also, we're going to get you more mixed into the community, is there anything you think you may be good at?" he asks.

"Not that I know of, all I've ever done is learn fighting strategies and how to handle my powers, other than that I'm good at disobeying orders and finding ways to sleep in," Kiara says.