Chapter 7: The Path of the Two

Kiara woke up to hearing Axil and Kol talking. They seemed to be getting into a heated argument.

"Leave right now dragon boy before I lose my cool," she heard Axil say.

"Listen, you fairy-oaf I'm not scared of you. I'm not leaving because you told me to," Kol said his tone growing angry. Kiara started to fear he'd get them kicked out if he caused a fight. She struggled to open her mouth her body rejected the idea and her body flared up in pain as if realizing her mind was awake.

"Kol, please leave. You're offending the people of the forest," Kiara said her body flaming up in pain. She hated the way her voice sounded, it screamed weakness. She didn't like that.

"I know you don't really care for me but please realize the forest is always listening. If they decide, they will remove you without hesitation and forbade you from returning. Please don't be prideful right now," Kiara tried to swallow a cough the crept it's way up, but it burst through her. It ripped through her making her pain flare and spread.

She heard Kol scoff and say whatever. She heard his footsteps start to walk away.

"Thank you, Kol," She said in relief that he actually listened to her.

"Princess," Axil said. his tone respectful.

"No need for formality, call me Kiara. This isn't my kingdom, anyway." Kiara said cracking open her eyes and moved her arms to push herself up. But they gave out halfway through. Axil came and helped her up.

"You would have to wake up when Helena went to get some medicine," Axil said warily.

"Sorry, I usually have the worst timing," Kiara said giving a soft chuckle. He seemed surprised by her joke.

"Kiara..." he mumbled softly.

"It was just a joke," she said her teeth gritted in pain.

"All jokes have hints of truth in them," Axil says his face serious.

"Sorry," Kiara said meekly.

"No I'm sorry, I hope Helena hurries. Those sliver burns are particularly nasty,"

"I suppose but I wish she would hurry I don't really like the blood oozing from my head either. This wound would prove deadly if I wasn't here," Kiara said touching the place that made blood drip steadily from the back of her head. She looks around.

"I see there is now a meadow growing in here," Axil says.

"It would seem so. I can't wait to find that stupid stone so I can end this bloodshed," Kiara said suddenly.

"I can see you weren't joking when you spoke to the trees but how does that relate to you now?" Axil said his hand still placed on her back helping her sit up.

"These iron wounds are from a trap set up by the dragons in order to stop us from getting the gem. If it weren't for this war I'd be in my kingdom helping the people dispute who's the tree it is on the property line, instead of being wounded by a hunk of iron," Kiara snapped.

"And if this war never happened I wouldn't have to worry about thousands of my people dying from iron poisoning, because then you all wouldn't have ever left," Kiara said spiralling.

"Hey, that's enough no need to do that. This war isn't your fault," Axil said making warmth spread throughout Kiara.

"But I will be the person to end this war, even if I die trying. My people don't deserve to die for some stupid gem!" Kiara said passion coursing through her veins but her voice sounded frail and tired.

"Oh my lord, Princess! You're awake! I'm sorry I took so long! I was getting some ingredients from...you know what it doesn't matter. Axil can you help her flip over so I can access her back," the woman said who Kiara guessed was Helana. Axil nodded and helped Kiara rollover. She groaned in pain. Everything felt slippery from the blood coming from her head and everything was blurry.