The distance in the Rain

The day went quickly, as always. Amaryllis managed to avoid all the unnecessary people in the elective course she enrolled in. At this point in time, she doesn't really care if they're still speaking behind her back. The problem is that she's still stuck on finding a partner for that project, and from what she heard, the group of friends coincidentally has one member that's also missing a partner.

Although it was easier to ask the person in the group (whoever it is), she doesn't like the idea of working together with someone who dislikes her, so she secretly looked for a partner. Unfortunately, all the students she asked to pair with already have their partners.

She decided to push it back for now and finish the first requirement of the project. Later on, she'll talk to the prof to see if she could get away with doing it by herself.

Now, however, she'd better hurry to the PTA meeting. Her brother, Ivor, had reminded her two times about it while telling her four more times that it wasn't necessary, but she decided to go either way. Their aunt, who had always been attending the meetings, went for a vacation, and there was no way she'd return on time. Amaryllis will have to go this time. Besides, she's already old enough to be Ivor's guardian.

"Do you have somewhere to go?" Mia muttered as they descended the stairs. Amaryllis was acting quite restless. She had been looking at her watch anxiously, even in the classroom. In fact, she would've been scolded by their professor if not for Mia raising a question about the lesson.

"Yeah. Remember what I told you about my aunt's sudden vacation?"

"What about it?" Mia glanced at her friend.

"She won't be able to go to Ivor's PTA meeting, so I'll go instead."

"Oh. Then you'd better hurry! I wish I could bring you there, but I still have something to do at the library. Good luck!"

Amaryllis nodded and muttered her goodbyes to Mia while exiting their department building. She rushed out and almost bumped into the group she was trying to avoid. She sighed in relief as she retreated a few steps away. They blended so well in the crowd of students that she almost walked right in the middle of their conversation. Good thing her senses were still keen. They were standing near the entrance, talking about something elatedly. Whatever it was, it kept them occupied. And thanks to that, she circumnavigated around them towards the pathway without a hitch. She breathed a sigh of relief before quickly hastening her steps again.

"Amaryllis..! Am- Larson!" Someone seemed to call her, but she shrugged it off, thinking it was just her imagination. After all, it didn't sound like Mia or any of her friends attending the same university. If someone will come and complain to her about it, however, she'd just make an excuse of how she didn't hear them.

She continued to hurry until it suddenly started to drizzle, making her pause. She looked up at the sky, which was covered with angry gray clouds, and froze as a drop of cold water fell on her cheek. She stood like that for a while, dazed by the picture of the rolling dark clumps of water. Ever since that day, she hated it when it rained... Despised the cold feeling it brings along with it... She hated everything about it.

"Amaryllis." An unfamiliar voice called out behind her, making her flinch in surprise.

She took a deep breath as she pulled her gaze away from the raging clouds. Shaking her head to dispel the depressing memory, she remembered she had left her umbrella in the classroom. "Ah..." She turned around. "Sorry... Were you referring to m-" Her breath hitched as soon as she craned her neck to look at the tall person. Out of all the people she expected to appear, she didn't think it would be Chryses. The blonde hair was slightly ruffled as if he ran hurriedly. A soft but masculine face shape... Amber eyes, a straight nose, and naturally upturned lips bombarded her face. Her blood turned cold, but she quickly regained composure.