No Chance(1)

"Are you okay?" Mia asked. After Amaryllis finished eating, she immediately left Chryses on the table. The atmosphere between them didn't look so good. And it didn't help that people were giving her the side eyes. 

A weak smile formed on Amaryllis' small, pale face as she nodded. "We better go to class."

Noticing his childhood friend's reluctance to accept Amaryllis' response, Tobias nodded at Mia to just follow along. Then scratching his nape while holding in a sigh, he awkwardly waved a hand goodbye to the three women. "Amaryllis, take a break if you need to and... I'll get going now. Bye, guys... Bye, Sam." He uttered last while glancing at the red-haired woman whose eyes were narrowed in displeasure.  

"I said not to call me Sam. My name is Samantha." 

Pausing for a bit, he smiled playfully while nodding. "Right. Samantha." And with a last wave of his hand, he turned around and walked off. 

Samantha snorted and focused her gaze on the two women beside her. The silence was overbearing and uncomfortable that she started to wonder why she agreed to eat with them again. After what happened today, it's very likely that all kinds of rumors are going to spread like wildfire. Amaryllis was stupid to invite Chryses, regardless of the latter's underhanded tactics. She was already doing quite well by avoiding him, but she had to break the momentum at the worst possible moment. 

On the bright side, they don't attend classes of the same schedule. It's bothersome to be part of nasty rumors. Distancing herself from the situation is the right thing to do. Her right foot pointed away from the pair as she excused herself. "I'll get going now, too."  

"Sure. I'm sorry for what happened earlier, Samantha... I didn't know you were going to eat with us and..."

Haah. She turned to look at Amaryllis in annoyance to reply before finally leaving. "I don't really care about that. Also, rather than me, you should really start worrying about yourself. I don't know why you did what you did but you made a big mistake." 

Every word that came out of Samantha's mouth hit Amaryllis like bullets. They were all true. She felt weak in the knees as she closed her eyes for a moment to gather herself.

"On second thought... I'm not feeling well..." She ultimately uttered. 

Mia who couldn't speak, after Samantha's speech finally regained her voice. "Do you wanna rest at the infirmary for a while?" She asked worriedly. 

Her friend nodded. "I can go there on my own. You better hurry to class or you'll be late." 

"It's fine. I can be late for once-"

"Thank you for offering but, it's okay, Mia. I'm not feeling dizzy. I just-... My head just hurts..." 

She couldn't refute after looking at Amaryllis' face. She felt sorry for her friend. It was her fault that this happened. Samantha actually still hasn't given up on Chryses basing on her threat a while ago. After seeing Amaryllis and Chryses together, she must've thought that Mia was trying to pull her away from Chryses to create opportunities for Amaryllis and Chryses to be together!

What a mess! 

She needs to talk to Samantha after this. "I understand... Be careful on the way." She muttered as she watched Amaryllis walk away slowly. 

However, rather than going to the infirmary, Amaryllis went home straight. She won't risk staying at school and meeting Chryses again for the nth time. It's dangerous. Especially after what happened. 

"You're already home?" Rosa's head popped up from the kitchen counter, her brows raised in curiosity. It was slightly tinged with worry when she took note of the girl's pallid appearance. 

"I'm not feeling well..." Amaryllis replied as she slumped on the sofa. 

The older woman stood up and stared at the young girl before getting a glass of water and offering it to her. "Hey... Why don't you drink this and tell me about it, hmm?" 

Seeing her aunt's kind face, she took a long, deep breath. But nothing could hold back the tears that came rushing out like a dam. She wiped them away furiously but new ones kept falling and wetting her cheeks continuously. She closed her fingers into fists and covered her eyes with them. 

"Ugh-I don't know what to do... I'm s-scared... I'm so, so... s-scared-huck-" She burst into sobs as she pulled her knees up against her chest. "I shouldn't have done that... I shouldn't have-" Her words got choked up by hiccups and sobs bubbling in her throat, the wretched sounds creating subtle echoes in the silent living room. 

With a downcast expression, Rosa put down the glass of water and knelt down to hug Amaryllis. "It's okay... Take your time..."

"Unnggh-Sorry... I-I couldn't stay-hic-th-there any... l-longer..." 

"It's okay, Amaryllis. It's totally fine... I can understand."

Soon after she was able to calm down, she reached for the glass of water and drank it until it was empty. Meanwhile, Rosa patiently sat beside her as she eyed her niece worriedly. They weren't blood but she cares for her like they are. Both Amaryllis and Ivor. So it's natural she'd be distraught after watching her cry so hard. 

"Auntie... I have a question..."

"Hm? What is it? I'll try my best to answer..." 

"Is it okay to give someone another chance after you've been hurt by them before..?" 

The unexpected question put Rosa on the spot as she was reminded of an unpleasant memory.  "Well..." She struggled to focus her gaze on Amaryllis as she thought about how to answer. "...Did they do anything to make themselves deserving of a second chance..?" 

Amaryllis didn't respond immediately but a flash of guilt appeared in her eyes. "I don't know..." Was she being biased? Was she being unfair to Chryses when she rebutted him earlier? 

Rosa let out a small smile as she hummed before speaking once more. "It's okay not to know... It's okay to be confused. It's normal to feel and think that way... Ultimately, it's not your fault that you got hurt and is now wary of them. It's just that... You trusted the wrong person." 

Amaryllis shifted her eyes towards her aunt, slightly squinting at the light that was coming out of the window behind the sofa they were sitting on.

"Rather than worry about it, don't you think they should be the one to worry? It's their responsibility to build back your trust because they were the ones who broke it, not you. Amaryllis, you're not obligated to believe them, unless you truly want to... And that is something that doesn't happen overnight. It takes time. You can't force it out of you... So you see now..?" 

The young girl smiled back, albeit weakly but it was enough for Rose. 

***

A/N: Yup. You can't force yourself to trust that person again so don't. Just don't.  

Edited: Rose to Rosa. I always forget my character's names. Lol