No Chance (4)

"...Mrs. Swanson?" Amaryllis gulped. Did she hear everything..?

No way... How could she let herself be seen this way by a parent of Ivor's classmate? If this becomes a rumor and affects Ivor...

Amaryllis abruptly stopped her train of thoughts.

Feeling ashamed, she immediately avoided Mrs. Swanson's eyes.

The sound of the heels clicking against the floor as the older woman closed the distance made Amaryllis flinch.

"You know this dirty woman?" Vienna muttered carefully towards Mrs. Swanson as she glared at Amaryllis who had gotten up in a flash and was now standing quietly by the side.

The receptionist and the security guard looked uneasy with the arrival of a new stranger as they exchanged furtive glances. They could only hope it would not escalate even more.

"Did you also know that she seduced my fiance?" Vienna continued with a lift of her chin when Mrs. Swanson remained quiet.

Amaryllis met Vienna's eyes, and uttered in a clear voice. "I already told you, I did no such thing."

"Amaryllis, are you okay?" Mrs. Swanson's unbothered voice interrupted their conversation as she dabbed at the corner of Amaryllis' lips with a handkerchief she had pulled out from her bag seconds before.

Amaryllis jolted in surprise as she shied away from the action. "I-I'm fine, Mrs. Swanson..."

Meanwhile, Vienna who was being ignored in the sidelines, huffed incredulously. The feeling of betrayal was depicted perfectly on her face.

"Did you not hear me, Mrs. Swanson? That woman dared to seduce my fianc-!"

"Miss Simmons..." Mrs Swanson uttered in a calm voice before facing the other young lady. "I heard your company is having a hard time. In fact there was a talk about acquisition by the Pattersons."

"Acquisition?"

"If I'm not mistaken, they should have already arrived in your company." Mrs Swanson further informed her as she turned away from the young lady who was starting to look frazzled.

Still, before leaving, she glanced at Amaryllis with narrowed eyes, saying she wasn't done with her yet.

Nevertheless, the atmosphere immediately relaxed with her departure.

"Your lips are bleeding." Mrs. Swanson sighed.

"I'm fine..." Amaryllis smiled while scratching her cheek. "Also..."

Turning to face the two apartment personnels, she bowed her head lightly. "If it wasn't for everyone, it would have been worse, so... Thank you." She muttered, feeling ashamed to have bothered a lot of people.

There was a loud sigh from the receptionist as she looked at the seemingly weak lady.
"Well, it's fine... but you should be careful next time. You're young and still have a bright future ahead of you. It's not good to get involved with a man who's engaged-"

"Excuse me? It's obvious that she's being wrongly accused." Mrs Swanson interrupted with a loud voice.

The other woman raised a brow. "Didn't the lady who left came here because of th-"

"Well, you should learn to stop believing in baseless things. Amaryllis is a good child. She wouldn't do something like that. Besides, with her face, she wouldn't need to do something so low. She would only walk by and the men would follow after her!"

Amaryllis couldn't believe what she heard as she choked on her saliva. Oh god... She knows Mrs. Swanson is only defending her but her words are a little embarrassing.