Chapter 17

In classic Nova panic, I forgot about the surprise somewhere between running out the studio in panic and crying behind the trash bin. So Huening Kai texts me later, asking me what happened.

Where did you go?? I still have the surprise to give you.

I stare at the message, willing myself to answer before I somehow convince myself Huening Kai was a mirage of this California, desert-like summer.

I'm sorry. I didn't feel well all of a sudden, so I kind of ran as soon as practice was over.

Oh. Where are you now? :)

Somehow, with a promise to design a new logo for Starlit Games, along with my word to help repaint the whole interior of the cafe and shop for new keyboards, I get permission to give Huening Kai our address. My father laughs when I tell him the news, flipping his phone out of his pocket in mock-fervor.

"Great!" he says. "I finally have an opportunity to start my first vlog."

I roll my eyes, but some of the anxiety of what I'll tell Huening Kai is released. "What? A vlog is supposed to be about yourself going through the day."

He rolls his eyes in return, as if I told him he should attend cooking classes. "Don't be smart with me, Nova. Of course my life includes my child and his future husband visiting my house for the first time."

My heart jumps into my throat and plummets back down. My dad knows I like Huening Kai? That means Mom knows too, and she probably found out much earlier. Maybe it was too obvious, how much I stared when he was around. As much as I'm embarrassed, my dad's acceptance of my overly-ambitious crush is heartwarming.

Still, I turn around before he can go on further. "I didn't know you were as delusional as me...."

In the living room, my mother's accolades hang like flowers taken from metallic gardens. She's received more awards than I can count in the minutes of waiting. Center stage, a enclosed glass display holds everything grand—the first place title for a world League tournament, an award from IGN with a fancy legendary title, and multiple first places at various esports she's claimed to dabbled in but really stomped the competition just by breathing on it. On the walls, other "not as important" prizes surround the centerpiece, like fireflies around the main gems.

I recall the conversation that disappointed her most of all.

"Why don't you consider gaming as your career?" she had said out of the blue, as we opened Starlit Games for the morning. "You're definitely good at it."

"I am," I said, finally admitting one of my strengths. "But it's not what I want. I don't see myself as being happy in the future, being behind a keyboard."

"You haven't even tried," she said.

Testing her, I raised a brow and snuck a quick dirty look toward a monitor in the corner—the same one I used to play my first online game when I was five.

"Okay, okay," she had relented, a rare moment. "But I meant that you haven't tried with a team."

I wish that I could've told her that being in a team would be amazing, just doing anything else.

I allow myself a secret smile. Now, I've found something I'm good at. Dancing. It'll be more than amazing to continue training at Playground LA. If only I could afford it, or if there was some sponsorship of some sorts. Are scholarships for dance schools even a thing? Or maybe I could pursue it in college, majoring in hip hop. Although my dad would be horrified that I wouldn't pursue cooking or engineering or nursing—the things he claims I'll be more than good at.

In the middle of ruminating, the doorbell rings, and I let Huening Kai in to wander past the foyer and into the living room.

As always, he looks up with a slightly tilted jaw, eyes alight with wonder. No matter how small the delight is in the places around him, he always manages to find the bright spots. I guess that's one of the many reasons I'm drawn to him.

"I know your mom gamed before," he says, "but I didn't think on this level. She's practically a living legend."

"You heard that right," my mom calls from the kitchen, interrupting a sizzling pan of onions. For once, she's joining my dad in cooking dinner for a rare occasion—due to him asking nicely. "I'm calculated and a master at seeing through any sort of gameplay."

Huening Kai laughs at the not-so-veiled warning.

Gosh, Mom, you don't need to continue your persona even after we leave the cafe.

He looks at me, a serious expression taking over. "Anyway, I really am excited to show you what I've been talking about."

I nod as we settle onto the couch, a microfiber thing we've had for ages, and I experience the strange sensation of experiencing the old and new at once. Huening Kai in my most sacred, safe area in the world. Is this the first time I've ever had a friend over? Gosh, I think it is, if I don't count the times my cousins barge in during the holiday season.

He takes out a green, matte folder that looks good for holding a high school diploma. Taking a deep breath, he opens it up.

It really is something like a diploma, with my full name and everything. Signed on the bottom are the signatures of the five members. I notice Huening Kai's small scribble before my eyes jump to the top of the page.

This award is given to Nova Zhou, who was scouted by BigHit Entertainment's Huening Kai, for the opportunity to become a trainee in Seoul for a trial period with mentioned company.

My mind scrambles for words, my mouth turning dry in an instant. Of course, none of this actually matters. I won't be spilling all of my feelings and thoughts until I'm tucked under my comforter and Huening Kai is messaging me before bed—when he's waiting in turn for the shower.

I form the word What? with my mouth, which must come across as stupid in every possible way.

But with the way Huening Kai smiles, I almost believe I'm worthy to receive something like this—an opportunity I've never heard about elsewhere.

"Yeah," Huening Kai continues. "So when we arrived in America, we were told that we'd have a chance to scout a boy from LA."

I stare at him, as if I could extract the memory from his pupils. Stop looking like a goldfish, Nova. You're embarrassing yourself.

"When I saw you," he lifts his eyes toward the ceiling, "I knew you were the person I wanted to give this to. All I had to do next was convince the other members."

He says it as if it was easy. As if he saw potential from the beginning. I point to my chest. Me? Out of everyone they came across in their time here? In Playground LA?

"Yes, you, silly." He taps the certificate again, confirming its realness, its undeniable existence in my hands. "It doesn't make you promise anything. But it'll sure make it easy... if you really do want to see me again."

I nod, several times like an annoying parakeet. Huening Kai laughs like I've given him the best news, like their debut has come earlier than expected.

In the end, my parents have him stay for dinner. We eat fried chicken wings, omelets, and mushroom jook, and I laugh about Huening Kai's aversion to ketchup. He promises to see me at the airport, and in Korea if I ever take up the offer, which receives a few grunts from my parents.

He continues to be the sun in a world where I felt wordlessly cold. He's brilliant, charming, stubborn, and immature.

And he saw me for not only who I am, but who I want to be.

Huening Kai, I'll do everything I can to become that person.

A/N: The End! Thank you so much for reading this story! I got the idea while thinking about how it would've been amazing to dance with TXT while they were here training for dance in LA. I hope you enjoyed it, and may everyone find their Huening Kai!