Chapter 4

"One-two-three-four-five-six-seven-eight!" The instructor, a black lady in a stylish tracksuit, shouts at the front of the room.

I try to follow her moves, a few twists and spins that are definitely more complicated than they look. I end up almost twisting my ankle, suppressing a squeal as I fall sideways to the floor.

I'm caught by Taehyun, who grunts and sets me upright with an awkward smile. Beomgyu bursts out laughing, but I receive a pat on the back for consolidation. Gosh, it would really be impossible to embarrass myself further.

I peek at the instructor. Even though she's facing the mirror, I feel her eagle-eye assessing me from the reflection. She's probably wondering why a hopeless wreck like me is attempting a routine meant for actual dancers.

Huening Kai taps me from behind. I spin too quickly, making myself dizzy as we wait for the other half of the class to showcase their progress. Over the looping melody of the song, a daze of harmony and synths, I make out his voice.

"You're doing really well, Nova!" he calls out.

I bite the inside of my cheek, wanting to scream. No, you don't need to lie. Instead I try to communicate with my facial features, lifting my brow a bit, tilting my jaw and moving my lips hoping it comes across as disagreement.

He seems to understand. "No, really. When I first started I could hardly move to the beat. You'll be great in no time."

Usually, I hate it when people assume things about me—like my parents telling me I'll have a great semester in school when it'll be a repeat of last time and the time before. Or when customers who've known me for long begin to ignore my presence, as if I'm not only silent but invisible. Like I'll never gain the courage to speak.

But when Huening Kai assumes I'll continue dancing with him, I surprise myself by not minding at all. I smile when he coaxes me to return to the next session. "You'll be more than welcome. The members are all starting to like you as well."

Soobin snickers right before we're called to perform as one group again. "That's because Huening Kai can't stop—"

Huening Kai jabs his leader's stomach before gesturing to the space in front of him. As if I finally have somewhere to belong to. As if I can become something with his support. Already, his words wrap me like nothing else I've known.

A/N: Thank you for reading! Please leave a vote if you enjoyed, and let me know what you think of the story so far!