Chapter 11

"This is your favorite place in LA?" Huening Kai asks as we're dropped off to Six Flags. He and my father were involved in a lively conversation that seemed partly like an interview—my dad asking the most pestering questions. Through listening, I learn that Huening Kai was born in Hawaii, that he lived in China for a while, and that his sisters also dreamed of becoming successful musicians.

"And why a musician, may I ask?" my father had pestered.

Huening Kai had smiled, not at all bothered to defend his passion. "I want to heal people with my songs and make others feel happy while listening to me. I can't imagine living a life without music. But also... I can travel the world and meet a whole lot of awesome people, like Nova."

I'd spent the rest of the ride to the theme park trying not to smile like a tickled child. Like Nova? Like you actually see me as someone awesome? My father seemed satisfied with the answer, because the conversation shifted into more questions about worthwhile places to visit in Korea.

I nod as Huening Kai admires the towering rollercoasters, winding beneath the clouds like the product of an abstract artist's sketch for a sculpture. The air smells of buttered popcorn, contrasting strangely with the screams of pure thrill and terror. The concrete is peppered with drips of ice cream and slushies, and everything is colorful and noisy. Here, I came on a field trip in elementary school and finally felt like a part of the group. All I had to do was sit on the rollercoaster and lose myself in the chaos of things. I didn't have to think about how different I was.

But with Huening Kai here, I'm the main focus of his eyes. Surely I'll be somewhat of a disappointment? He could've spent the day with his teammates here instead, screaming and arguing about nonsense like normal teenage boys. Now, he'll have to conduct a one way conversation like he's always had.

"You know, I'm not so afraid of riding them when I think of you sitting next to me." Huening Kai thinks out loud as we pay for tickets. "You're kind of like my peace and quiet."

Before I can sike myself out of it, I reach blindly and grab for his hand. Messily, I miss and end up knocking the phone from his pocket.

Huening Kai laughs, so loudly my ears ring in sharp warmth. "Nova, if you're gonna do that you have to be more sleek about it."

I raise my eyebrows, trying to hold in my panic as we attract stares from all angles and degrees. Like how?

"Like this," he says, flashing a conspiratorial wink. "Like this is just another date in the park for us." He coughs, channeling his inner actor. His voice is flirtatious and almost sing-song. "Novaaa, which ride do you want to head to today?"

He tries to keep a straight face, but my laughter proves him unable to carry his own claims of a cool demeanor. Huening Kai tries again, this time leaning closer. "No really, which one?"

This time, I'm affected in a different way. Maybe it's the repetition, or the seriousness in which he leans near me, as if we're a part of a dance routine meant for two—purely choreographed for Huening Kai and Nova Zhou. In the matter of a second, the world around me blurs into nothing. All that matters is the curve of Huening Kai's playful lips, the crinkles above his eyes, the laughter that raises his cheeks.

Before I can stop him or myself, we somehow drift into the shade of a nearby orchid tree. He leans close, and I freeze completely as he hugs me.