Chapter 12

You're stupid. A hopeless romantic with too much time on your hands for imagination.

How could you ever believe that someone with so much good like Huening Kai would ever see a fraction of worth in you?

He doesn't really like you, dimwit.

All these doubts and more are displaced, burned, and thrown into a faraway sea as Huening Kai embraces me. He's hugged me before, but this time feels different. His lips are pressed into my hair, staying there for more than a few seconds. He stays long enough for his hair to tickle my cheek. His arms find their way around my back.

Slowly, I unfreeze. My own arms latch onto his waist, unwilling to let go. I whisper something into his sweatshirt, wordless and unintelligible, but my vocal chords are buzzing nonetheless. I forget that he has to leave. I can convince myself I have a thousand more days to waste with him, in his arms. Where I feel the safest I've ever been in a long time.

Huening Kai is more than just a cute boy. He's daylight. He's the person I imagine running to when I can't figure out how to express my feelings. He's the one I'll text my secrets and expect not a drop of judgement in return. He'll dance with me when I fall, tripping my way across the studio.

No, I'm not stupid. And I'm not hopeless either. Huening Kai does like me for who I am, and because he believes in me I can see my own worth.

The heat is intense, the summer not pausing around us. I didn't even realize it, but I began to shake halfway through the hug, so now Huening Kai is waiting until I settle down again. I don't want to settle down. You've made my favorite place even better.

Around me, the screaming and children shouting nonsense goes on, but I'm in my own world now.

No. I've let Huening Kai in, and he's given me more in a few weeks than I've longed for all my life.

A/N: Huening Kai's birthday is right around the corner! It's amazing timing to be writing this story in August. Thank you for your continued support!