The Soul of the Dead

Four months later, in a graveyard...

Snow fell down from the night sky. Nearly every house was decorated with lights. Children were playing around with smiles on their faces. After all, it was Christmas! Everyone was with their family. Everyone was happy.

Except one. An eighteen years old boy stood alone in a graveyard. In front of his mother's grave, looking down at it with pure sorrow. Murdered for revenge, the thought swirled around his head. Nobody noticed as he stood there at the far end of the graveyard near a cluster of trees joining with a forest. Percy Jackson looked at the name engraved on the stone, Sally Jackson.

He tried to find any connection to his mother's soul in the Underworld. Why? Well, he has been trying to do that for quite some time now. He has got an idea and he needs advice. And he knows he can do it. With a lot of energy and his blessing he can summon the dead.

He felt a faint prickle on the back of his neck and a nauseas feeling in his gut. The atmosphere seemed to become gloomy. The sky darkened, and the sound of civilization seemed to go far, far away.

A small silvery glow came from the heart of the grave before expanding and forming the shape of a woman seemed to be made out of silver mist.

'Percy...,' the woman breathed.

'Mom...' Percy felt like a fragile piece of glass, which could break down any second.

'You have grown into such a handsome, young man.' Sally smiled.

'Thanks mom.... So, how is underworld?'

'It's fine there. Percy... I know what you want to do, don't do it?'

Great, straight to the point. Can't he even beat around the bush?

'Why not? I can join you. We will be together. And this time... there will be nothing that can affect us.'

His plan actually was to... uh... die... and join his mother and live "happily ever after".

'Percy this is not right and not the way.'

'Why not?' Percy was angry now. At everything.

'You won't understand it right now, you have to grow up.'

'I'm eighteen!'

Sally smiled. 'And still young.'

'This is-'

'How do you like S.H.I.E.L.D.?'

Percy frowned. 'How did you know of S.H.I.E.L.D.?'

'Percy, you are talking to the one who gave birth to you.'

'Wait... you are changing the subject!'

She sighed. 'Yes I am...'

'Mom-'

'Percy', she said firmly. 'Don't be stupid. Now, how do you like S.H.I.E.L.D.?'

Does he even like S.H.I.E.L.D.? Yes he does. S.H.I.E.L.D. has given him a new purpose and something he is good at. 'It's good.'

'Then you should live...', she pressed against his neck, where the chain rested.

'Mom...'

'For me?'

'But mom...'

'Promise me.'

Percy sighed. He was clearly defeated. 'Fine, I promise', he huffed.

'That's my boy.' Sally pated his cheek.

'Mom... from where did you got this?' he pointed at his necklace.

'Daedalus gave it to me. Told it was for taking care of Mrs. O'Leary. He also said to tell no one else that it was from him, so I had to tell you in person.' She looked to be in discomfort.

'You are hiding something', Percy observed.

'Percy, he also said that it was the key to something and you have to find that out by yourself.'

'Oh great.'

'Percy...'

'No really. That's great.'

'Percy... please. Stay safe.'

'I'll try.'

'You can plant something there you know', she said pointing to the empty space beside the grave.

'A rose plant?' Percy suggested. This was very typical of his mother.

'Of white roses?'

'White it is then.'

Sally kissed Percy. His power of summoning the dead was a lot stronger (and a lot more energy-consuming) than any child oh Hades. Thus; the dead, even though made of mist, can come close to the living skin. 'I love you, my son.'

'Love you too, mom.'

Sally gave him a sad smile. 'I have to go now.'

'Mom, wait-'

'Merry Christmas, Percy.' And she evaporated, leaving behind a fresh scent.

Percy shook his head, and gave the grave a sad smile. 'Merry Christmas, mom.'

He turned around and walked to his car. He needs to go to the tower and Pepper will kill him if he misses the party. Hopefully no one will steal his pizzas.