The Chain with the Disc

Three months later, in S.H.I.E.L.D....

Agent Jackson walked through the maze of corridors of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s headquarters towards Fury's office. He showed his Level 4 pass card to the identification panel allowing the laser to scan it. The elevator dinged open and he got in as the doors closed and it started upwards. At least S.H.I.E.L.D.'S elevators do not have horrible music like Olympus's. He leaned against the walls and thought about... his life.

He has been in S.H.I.E.L.D. for three whole months; going on missions, training, sometimes spending time with Spiderman and his team and sometimes with the Avengers. He was one of the fastest, if not the fastest, agents ever to get promoted to Level 4. He mostly kept to himself; training, reading or watching something on his television. One of the things he found out; he might have been the worst archer in history but with a gun he was golden. And since his father 'disowned' him his dyslexia and ADHD had became almost non-existent. At least he can read better than before. And with a little training he can read people like an open book, well... better than a book since he is dyslexic. He became surprisingly close to Natasha and Agent Maria Hills, which he counted as a great achievement because Clint said it took him 9 months to do the same. And he also learned to fly planes and hack computers; which was, to him, super cool. He had just returned from a mission in Ísafjörður, Iceland and was training peacefully and minding his own business (not like the newbie agents who were staring at him making him extremely uncomfortable) when Maria contacted him through his com-link, informing him that Fury has called him to his office.

The elevator dinged open, breaking his train of thoughts. He walked through some more corridors before coming face to face in front of two metal doors. He knocked. The doors slid open automatically. Inside, sitting at his table was Fury, and across to him was a man with a kind face, balding head with brown hair and blue eyes. A man he had heard a lot about but never seen. Phil Coulson.

'Sir ', he gave a brisk nod to Fury.

'Agent Jackson please have seat. This is Phil Coulson; I suppose you have heard about him?'

'Yes, of course, sir but, with all due respect, wasn't he supposed to be dead? No offense please, Agent Coulson.'

'None taken. And yes I was dead but I... uh... escaped the ... underworld.' He looked a bit sheepish, and then he looked at Fury. 'I still can't believe that it exists.'

Fury nodded. 'Agent Coulson says he has something for you.' Percy face showed clear confusion.

'This', Phil said as he took out a chain from his pocket with a small disc-pendant and handed it to Percy. Percy took it and looked at Phil like he has gone nuts.

'This is ... really... nice, thank you.'

'Oh no it's not from me. It's from Sally; she's your mother right?'

Percy stiffened. 'Yes?'

'I met her in the underworld. She was in Elysium, not too far away from where I was. When we met she sort of somehow knew that I was going to escape and that I was going to come here. So she gave it me to pass on to you. By the way, she makes wonderful cookies which are for, some reason, blue.'

'Uh yes... that's an inside family joke', Percy replied, stroking the small disc of the chain with his thumb. He turned it and saw a small, blue Delta symbol engraved on its back. That's the symbol of Daedalus! Talk about strange. Suddenly it lit up with small blue lights and.... Percy blinked. The chain along with the disc was gone and in its place were a graceful metallic-silver and a quiver full of arrows of the same kind, lying innocently on his lap. The top corner of the bow consisted of a small, blue delta symbol along with some engraved initials:

Daedalus_Labyrinth_Structures 1963Q56P

He stroked and pressed the delta symbol again. The bow and quiver seem to oddly twist and they became a normal chain with a disc.

Phil's eyes were as wide as soccer balls. 'Wow...' he muttered. Even Fury looked slightly surprised. Emphasis on slightly.

'You said my mother sent it?'

Phil nodded.

'Strange... She should know better than to send bow and arrows.'

'You've got problem with them?'

'I suck at archery...'

'Oh... I can help you with that. I was Agent Barton and Agent Romanoff's trainer.'

'Thank you but I really should not waste your time. I had a trainer before but even he was not able to teach me how to properly use a bow without killing myself.'

'Well I am always up for a bit of a challenge. So my offer still stands... that is if you want it of course.'

Percy's eyes sparkled. 'Thank you. I'd love to.'

'Well than what are we waiting for? Boss...' he nodded towards Fury and got up. Percy was going to follow Phil but Fury stopped him.

'Agent Jackson...?'

'Yes sir?'

Fury leaned back in his chair and crossed his hands on the table. 'Nobody should know about Phil Coulson being back.'

'Even the Avengers?'

'Especially the Avengers.'

'Of course sir. But may I ask, why?'

'Because it will disrupt the "push" which created them.'

Percy did not completely understand but he closed the door nevertheless.