Council Meeting

Although the council room had been renovated into a more spacious one, Percy felt a distinct sense of suffocation. Or perhaps that was just the nerves he was trying not to show on his face.

Clint seemed fine; being back in the camp's familiar environment was actually quite enjoyable for him. And for that Percy envied him, just a very little.

He knew this meeting was supposed to be important, since nearly all the Olympians were there along with the councillors.

He was working on his phone, under the table. Maria had informed him of an armed terrorist attack on their research facility in Morocco, so he had hacked into their surveillance recordings to get the scene.

He frowned as he paused the video and zoomed in. One of the terrorist's black face cloth had slipped off and he could see the familiar brown hair and blue eyes.

Heads turned as the door slammed open and somebody walked in.

He, though, was busy staring at his screen. He knew he'd seen that face before. But he just couldn't remember it.

'If you would please pay attention,' Athena began authoritatively, 'and put your electronics aside for the moment-'

He quietly slipped his phone inside when he saw her looking right at him.

'Last night,' she said, 'Hermes, Poseidon and I had gone to the headquarters of a mortal organisation known as SHIELD. They had rescued some of our missing campers, who are unfortunately in no fit condition to assist us. But, however, there were some leftover traces of energy on them, and upon further evaluation, we now understand that our enemy is one of greater calibre than we suspected,' she paused dramatically.

It is Tartarus, Percy thought.

'It is Tartarus,' Athena said.

An abrupt roar erupted over the silence. Everyone was talking at once.

'Why wasn't I informed of this earlier?' Zeus demanded.

'Because I just got it in the morning! There was no time.'

'There was time,' accused Hera. 'During breakfast, when you were so busy trying to cut your pancakes into perfect little circles of equal radii.'

'Athena likes to keep her own intelligences on the council,' Poseidon said, coldly amused.

'You could've at least told me, Mom!'

'I don't see how you could've helped, Annabeth.'

'But mom, I could've-'

Despite the gravity of the situation, Percy was strangely amused. They were wasting time, and being so ridiculously stupid while doing it. Some of his thoughts must've showed on his face, because Clint leaned towards him and accused in a low voice, 'You knew about it, didn't you?'

For a moment Percy felt like giving him a rude answer, but this was not Clint's fault, that was not Clint's fault.

'I suspected something similar.'

Clint was about to say more, but then Athena screamed, 'Shut up! I really don't see how informing you five minutes earlier could've helped achieve anything. And I am telling it now, am I not?'

'And so what if it's a primordial? We've defeated one before, haven't we?' Ares said condescendingly.

At this, some eyes shot towards Percy, most of them guiltily. He caught Nico's eyes and stared back coldly, defiantly, until Nico turned away.