Through the Tunnels

A million thoughts pierced Michael's mind like tiny sharp needles, in the slow torturous moments it took for the train's wheels to go round and round on the tracks. His thoughts were in a jumbled mess, out of which he registered two words – Percy and Report. The first was his conscience. The second was his SHIELD training kicking in.

And if he hated the fact that his brain was already cataloguing and compressing the recent events chronologically, ready to be keyed and sent to Fury; well nobody needed to know.

He stared at the dark, closed windows of the moving train, and each one reflected his own ashen face, illuminated by the scanty light. Beside him, Frank clutched a shaking Hazel to his chest. Nobody else dared make a sound.

This can't b happening, Michael thought frantically. He's not dead.

The tension which had settled upon them suddenly felt suffocating. He's not dead, he's not dead,

Percy appeared almost as if spat out by the air, a gasp clawing out of his throat. As the train moved away, a thick silence followed. Percy blinked for a moment as if coming out of dream, and then pointed towards the blinking blue laptop, 'I think its open now.'

Very much alive, Michael finished dryly. He jumped down onto the tracks while Annabeth scrambled to disconnect the wires. The others were still staring at him open-mouthed, shocked.

'So what happened? Decided getting run over by a train is not a glorious enough way to die?' There was a harsh bite in his tone.

Percy gave him a sheepish grin in return. 'If I die now, you'll follow soon. And when I dream of my funeral, you're always at the front row, crying your eyes out.'

How could he joke about his death? Like he did not value every moment he breathed? 'I have no intention of following you anywhere. Not now, not ever,' he replied coolly. He watched as the demigods disappeared down the tunnel behind Annabeth. 'I am not blind you know. I see when you do things you shouldn't be able to. Working on a mission together means working as a team. Looking out for each other. And I can't do that if you're so obstinate and reserved all the damn time. ' This time a little more anger had leaked into his voice. Damn him for caring so much.

Percy just frowned tiredly and opened his mouth to say more, but a timid voice interrupted them. 'Percy?'

They turned to see Hazel's golden orbs fixed nervously upon them. Nico and Frank flanked her sides like bodyguards, tense and fidgety.

And even though Michael wanted to hammer a few more words into his friends brain, he saw the look on Hazel's face and turned and briskly walked away to give them some privacy. Because he knew all about Percy's exile and what caused it (his half-sisters were the biggest gossips), and he also knew Percy would hate to have that brought up in front of him.

He could clearly hear Hazel saying a thank you for saving her. And that they were all so, so sorry

He ducked through the small entrance. The darkness of the tunnel enveloped him like a mother's arms; still, black and calming.

Maybe, in another reality, Percy would've trusted him more.

Yeah, he thought sardonically at himself, and maybe in that other reality he'll have better excuses for those scars on his back.

***

/Warning: The following scene contains violence and gore. Reader discretion advised. /

Percy was still reeling from the effects of his little stunt. For some reason, everything felt unreal. He couldn't explain what had happened, couldn't even remember any of it; and this thought knocked at the back of his mind, insistent and irritating. It was like in those few seconds it took for the train to pass, he had stopped being solid, becoming void, becoming nothing.