Cleaning House (Part 3)

*Vlad's POV*

It was later night when Vlad, Y/n, Sam, Tucker, and Danny take a break from sorting through the stuff in the house. Danny, Sam, and Tucker leave, leaving Vlad and Y/n behind at the late Will's house. Y/n was in the living room, sitting on the floor with a box in front of her. There was a fire burning in the fire place. Every so often Y/n would throw a picture into the fire.

"Why are you doing that?" Vlad asks. He was sitting on the couch behind Y/n.

"To help me forget. To help me move on. I'm throwing away every picture taking of my dad, my mom, and of myself as a family. Dad would have still died like he was supposed to, without of the aid of the Wickers Bend ghosts, if mom didn't leave. She felt dad was weak because he was sick for a long time before we knew about the cancer." Y/n tresses another photo into the fire.

Vlad sees the image before it was consumed by the flames. It was a picture of Y/n as a five year old girl. Her mom was holding Y/n in her lap. Her father was sitting next to her mother. In the picture, Beth had a look of disdain on her face. "Did your mother ever smile? Was she even happy?"

"No and I don't think so."

Vlad goes to sit on the floor next to Y/n. At this point, he had gone home and came back with a change of clothes more comfortable to wear, a pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt, since he felt like not getting anymore suits dirty. Vlad takes one of the pictures out of the box and looks at it. "At least you are with a smile in most of them."

Y/n takes the photo from Vlad and looks at it. The picture was kinda faded. In the picture it showed Y/n's family at Disney World. Even in this picture Y/n's mom didn't haven't a smile on her face. She throws the picture into the fire. "I thinking I may have a theory."

"What kind of theory?"

*Y/n's POV*

Y/n dumps the photos out of the box, being careful that they don't get too close to the fire in the fire place. "There are dates on the back of every photo. Help me sort them out by year."

Vlad gives Y/n a confused look. "Y/n?"

"Just a theory and I hope I am wrong." After about two hours, what remains of all the photos, were all sorted into piles according to the year printed on the back of each one. Y/n starts looking through each pile. "From what I had found, mom's smile disappeared around the time I was four years old. Dad started to get sick around the time I was ten. From what it seems mom was only happy up until I turned four. Guess she realized she was in the long haul with having a family. It's whatever now."

Vlad watches Y/n, once again sort all of the pictures into piles. She separates all the pictures that had her mom in them into one pile and all the pictures that had her dad in them into another pile. The pictures that had her dad in them Y/n puts them back into the box. "Burn the rest. I'm going to go into my parents room to see what I can find there." Y/n gets up off the floor and takes the box that now contained all of the photos of her dad and heads upstairs. "Hey, Benny! Where are you?"

"Yes?" The Box Ghost asks as he appears out of nowhere.

Y/n hands the Box Ghost the box of pictures. "Keep this box safe for now. I'm going to be mailing it to my uncle as soon as I get the chance too."

"Are you sure? Wouldn't you be happier to have the pictures of your dad?" The Box Ghost asks.

"I'm happy with the memories I have of my dad. That's what matters and is what I'm holding on too. I'm giving those photos to my uncle, my dad's brother, so he can have memories of his brother," said Y/n.

The Box Ghost takes the box of photos from Y/n. "I'll keep them safe. Just let me know when you need them," said the Box Ghost before he disappeared again.

Y/n makes her way to her parents room and unlocks the door. Half the bed was made while the other half was messy. "At least he was able to get ouf of the bed that day before going to the hospital." She makes her way over to the dresser where a jewelry box sat. "Now let's see what you left behind, Beth..."

Y/n opens the jewelry box and finds quiet a few rings and some earrings. She dumps the entire contents of the jewelry box on the dresser and sifts through the pieces of jewelry. "Looks like you left behind a few rings. Maybe Vlad knows a jeweler who can find the value of these. If not then I'll just toss them afterwards."

Going through her mom's stuff, Y/n managed to find several more rings and receipts for all of them. Turned out Beth was cheating on William years before the divorce. All the receipts were in Brandon's name. Y/n also found a few pairs of expensive shoes as well, which were never worn and still in the shoe boxes, in the closet. The more of the stuff that Y/n found that Brandon had bought for Beth, the more angry Y/n got. "Hey, Vlad! Get up here!"

After a few minutes, Vlad comes into the room. "What did you find?"

"Evidence that mom was cheating on dad longer than what I thought and the fact she left him to go with Brandon because Brandon was making more money."

"What makes you think that?"

Y/n hands Vlad all of the receipts she found of all the things Brandon bought for Beth. "Mom wasn't very clever on hiding those."

Vlad takes a quick look at the receipts. "Money doesn't buy happiness. Even i know that. Happiness is what you make of your life with all the decisions you make. Money cannot buy you everything. Your mother made the mistake of leaving your father."

"Also got her things to throw away and burn."

"I know. As for now let's focus away from the negative and focus on the positive. See if you can find us a movie to watch. Since I know we'll still be here for a while still."

"I'll see you downstairs then," said Y/n with a smile. She watches Vlad leave the room and heads to her old room to see what movie they could watch.