16. Blowing the Oculus up

We're going to blow the device up. We're going to blow it up. That's fun. Blowing something up is fun. Which means there is no reason to think about what hapenned with Sara. I'm thinking about blowing the Oculus up. Which is fun. Not about Sara. I'm not thinking about Sara. I'm thinking about blowing the device up. Fun.

The team walks in, while professor egghead is talking. "Based on Captain Hunter's description, the Oculus is a massive temporal computer, most likely powered by a scaled-down supernova contained at the bottom of the Wellspring. Why aren't any of you more excited about this?"

"We're excited to blow it up." Sara says, completely ignoring me. Which I understand.

Grim Reaper tells us the plan. "Dr. Palmer will deactivate the core contained supernova, which should create an anomalistic event."

I see Lenny and Chucky are looking confused so I translate. "A very big explosion."

"Sounds like a plan." Chucky says. Here I thought my idea wouldn't involve mass murder. Not that I care about those time pigs.

Reaper opens the door. I turn invisible and grab my knife. Then I follow the rest of the team out.

When we almost reach the Oculus, Robe guy comes from out of nothing. "Hello again, Rip. Right on schedule."

About 20 guards surround the team. I'm standing next to a lamppost, watching.

"Uh, I think we've walked into a trap." Haircut points out the obvious.

"No it's destiny." Robe guy says. So that's where Reaper gets his dramatic touch from.

Then he starts complementing us. "I must say you've all played your parts well. As with everything else you've done, I'm afraid it was all for nothing." Feeling the love here.

Then he realises I'm not with them. "Where is Ms. Rory?" He asks them.

Sara quickly reacts. "Kate left. She was too angry at us for dumping her."

So she does care?

I don't know if robe guy is buying it, but he just leaves it be. He's about to say something, when Reaper beats him to it. "All your posturing. All your claims about doing what's best for the timeline, about protecting history, it all comes down to cold blooded murder."

"The difference between murder and execution is only a matter of authority. I have it. You don't." Robe guy says.

Then I have another idea, this one is less briliant, more stupid, but we're gonna die anyway. I walk towards robe guy, avoiding the guards and then I stab him in the back. I can't stab him in his heart because I'm standing behind him. Chucky and Lenny are looking at where they think I am with pride.

Robe tries to breath and looks around confused. I missed that look. His legs give out and he falls on the ground. "Kill them." He whispers, just loud enough for the guards to hear. "Kill them all." I think I heard that line in a TV show before.

Before the guards can shoot us, they get shot from above us. I look up to see the jumpship, shooting guards. I assume the kid is in there. I turn visible and sit on my knees like the rest of the team, hoping he won't shoot me.

When the shooting stops, I stand up and look around. All the guards are dead, but I can't see robe guy anywhere. He got away. Again.

The kid comes out of the jumpship. "Returning the jumpship to the Waverider. Good luck, Mr. Jackson." The head says. Then the ship flies away.

He walks over to us. "Hope I'm not too late."

"No, Jefferson, you're right on time." Professor egghead says in relief. They merge and then the kid notices me. "Kate?"