10. Robin Hood 2.0

August 1990

Don is talking with my brother, the social worker and the detective. I'm still sitting outside. They gave me a sandwich with cheese. I don't like cheese.

Finally, my brother walks out. He looks sad. He kneels down in front of me. "I tried, ninja. But they won't let me take care of you."

"But-"

"The Chinese guy adopted you. I'm sorry."

Don didn't want me, right? He said he was still not sure whether he wanted me and then I was rude to him, so maybe he did this for revenge? I don't want another mean dad.

"Why would he want me?" I ask my brother. I'm trying to be strong. I'm not going to cry again.

Chucky tries to remember the conversation. "He said something about how you were different and how you have potential."

I'm even more confused now.

"I'll come visit you. I promise."

I hug him and whisper: "I love you, Chucky." In his ear.

"Love you too." He whispers back.

Then Don comes out of the office. "Kate, get your stuff." He simply says, without any sign of emotion.

I give my brother a look, he nods. Then I run to my room/cell.

I put the clothes that the cops gave me in a bag, along with my new toothbrush, the rubiks cube I found in the evidence room and the licorice I stole in the candy store next to the police station.

I haven't solved the cube yet. It's really hard. I hear a knock on the door. I take the bag with me and open the door. Don is standing there. "Ready?" He asks. I nod and follow him to his car.

While we drive, it's silent. I wonder if I should say something. But I don't know anything to say.

He does. "Are you afraid?" He asks me. (In broken English.)

It's a weird question, but I answer it anyway. "No." It's the truth.

I think I saw a small smile on his face, but I probably just imagined it. "Good." He says. "You should probably know I lied about my name."

"Why?" I ask.

"Because if the police would know my real name, they would never let you go with me."

To my suprise, I'm still not scared. I'm curious, actually. "Then what is your name?"

"Zhishan."

---

-Present-

The place where we landed looks familiar, but I can't really place it. Everything is destroyed and there's so much fire.

Grim Reaper speaks to the head on the comms. "Gideon, camouflage the ship. This doesn't look like the type of place we want to linger out in the open."

"That looks a lot like a Palmer Tech building, but why does it have a Smoak logo on it?" Haircut asks.

Now I get it. "This is Starling City."

"Star City, actually." Haircut remarks.

"That name sucks."

"I invented it."

I smile. "That explains it."

He looks hurt, but shakes it off. Chucky laughs and Lenny has a smirk on his face. Then Sara slightly pushes me. "Play nice." She says.