Drive Thru | RH

01 | Ricky Horror

Today was way harder than it should've been. The band couldn't decide on anything at all. Everyone just kept arguing and yelling. Now I have the worst headache known to man and honestly just want to go home and go to bed at this point.

It takes thirty minutes to get from our practice space to my house. I honestly wish it was closer but on days like this I wish I never joined the band. The guys really know how to make me hate my job.

Soon I pull into the driveway of my house and turn the car off, walking inside. I call out for my girlfriend Grace. I get no response so I decide she's probably not home. Probably out with friends or something, or maybe still at work, locking up. Whichever is totally fine with me. I make my way up the stairs to our shared bedroom, opening the door to reveal a sleeping Grace. So much for going out with friends I chuckle. I smile and change into sweats, then laying beside her. She shifts next to me, moving closer and holding onto my arm. What a great way to end my shitty day...

| | |

I wake up to the feeling of someone shaking my arm lightly. I open one eye to look at who could possibly be waking me up at this ungodly hour. I push up onto my elbows when I realize who it is. "Gracie? Are you okay?" I ask softly and sit up properly, leaning against the dark wooden headboard. I hear her sniffle and see small tears run down her cheeks, I immediately pull her to my chest and soothe her. She hasn't had a nightmare in weeks and I was beginning to think everything was slowly getting better...

What could've brought this on...?

I decide not to ask when I realize she's crying harder.

"Shhh... Sweetheart I'm here. Everything will be alright." I kiss the top of her head and run my hand up and down her back soothingly.
After a little while of constant reassurance she calms down. I'm so grateful that this time wasn't that bad... Because she deserves to be the happiest person on this whole planet.
I remember when she would wake up screaming and crying, and then a whole fit would come on... In comparison, this is so much better. Even if It's not the best it can be.

"Sweetheart?" I ask softly.

She looks up at me with puffy eyes.

"You ready to go back to bed?"

She vigorously shakes her head no.
I sit there thinking of what we could do instead... After a few moments a bright idea flashes in my head. "Wanna go for a drive?" I ask.

Her eyes almost seem to sparkle at that idea. She shakes her head yes and hugs me tighter. Even though I'm bone tired, I'll do anything for her. Especially if it makes her happy. I pick her up and take her to the car, she doesn't need shoes right?
I see her smile as I pull out of the driveway, I can't help but do the same.
After a while of driving I hear her stomach rumble and I decide It's probably best to go get some food. We end up at the Sonic drive-thru which just happens to be a 24 hour thing. We both get a chocolate shake and a burger with fries.

"Thanks Rick!" She says softly with a smile, digging into her food as I pull out of the drive-thru.

"Anytime." I reply and take a sip of my shake.

After finishing our food and a while more of driving, I look over at Grace to see her sleeping peacefully with her head rested against the window. I smile and hold her hand lightly.

Nights like these are what I live for...