𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟕𝟗

Start from the beginning

"Not in my eyes," Jyn answered curtly. "Perhaps in his, but not in mine. Never in mine. Not after he abandoned me to save his own skin." 

Yet, Jyn had just been espousing the benefits of "saving one's own skin". But then again, Saw Gerrera's abandonment had taught her such a lesson. 

Astrid cleared her throat uncomfortably before she asked, "So, despite this estrangement here, do you think you will still be able to get us an introduction to him?" 

Jyn snorted lightly as she answered with a flip of her pistol in her hand, "I think I can. The tricky part will be to get Saw Gerrera to take some of his precious time away from his little rebellion to see us. He's very fanatical about his rebellion against the Empire. He's lost all sense of humanity." 

"But you're friends, so he will set aside some time to see us," Astrid clarified, growing worried that this wasn't going to work out as they'd expected. Wouldn't he also set aside time to see them because they have the same goal, to end the Empire's rule?

"Maybe," Jyn replied with a shrug. 

They settled into silence, and their ship rocked gently as they shot off into hyperspace towards Jedha. They would arrive at the moon in about half an hour at this speed. 

In an effort to learn more about this woman, Astrid inquired, "So, what exactly landed you in the Imperial Wobani labor camp?" 

Jyn replied nonchalantly, "I tried to steal an Imperial officer's gun and vehicle." She gave Astrid a sidelong look as she clarified, "If a Resistance fighter had been nearby with a gun and a vehicle, I would've attacked them, too. I only attacked the Imperial officer because it was convenient." She paused before adding thoughtfully, "But I suppose my twenty year sentence was also determined by my other committed crimes."

"Like what?" 

It was strange talking to a criminal, and an indifferent, uncaring criminal at that. Astrid had spent practically her entire life as a Jedi capturing criminals like Jyn before the Clone Wars had taken over all of her time. 

A smirk tugged at Jyn's lips, and she began counting off with her fingers as she replied proudly, "Aggravated assault against Imperial military personnel, escape from custody, possession of unsanctioned weapons, forgery of Imperial documents, and resisting arrest. I'm sure there are more I forgot." 

Astrid had to admit she was impressed with Jyn's criminal repertoire. 

She noticed Jyn's hand come up to play with a necklace around her neck that Astrid hadn't noticed before, and it reminded her of her own japor snippet necklace. Astrid's eyes narrowed as she peered closer at Jyn's necklace, and her eyes widened when she realized what the necklace piece was made of. 

In her surprise, she blurted, "That's a kyber crystal!" 

Jyn looked startled at her outburst, and a look of confusion crossed her face before she followed Astrid's gaze and realized what she was talking about. She swiftly tucked her kyber crystal necklace into the collar of her shirt out of view. 

Her eyes narrowed on Astrid. "How do you know that it's kyber crystal?" 

"How did you get kyber crystal?" Astrid shot back, incredulous. 

Kyber crystal was hard to obtain, and it was practically sacred to Jedi since it was used to construct their lightsabers. It was strange to see an ordinary citizen wearing one and on a necklace of all things. Astrid felt like the crystal should only belong to Jedi since it was so precious to them. 

"My father gave it to me," Jyn replied curtly as if daring Astrid to take it from her. "He devoted almost his entire life on researching and studying kyber crystals. He was trying to understand how to harness its power."