The Trail of Harry J. Potter

CHAPTER FOUR: The Trial of Harry J. Potter

Diagon Alley was quieter than normal.

People still ran circles around their parents as the shops were bursting with people buying this year's schoolbooks and indulging in new quills and inks.

Neville and I looked at the book list in our hands with confusion.

The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 5 by Miranda Goshawk

Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkard.
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore.
Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger.
Potion Opuscule by Arsenius Jigger.
Winogrand's Wondrous Water Plants by Selina Sapworthy.
Flesh-Eating Trees of the World.
Intermediate Transfiguration.

Unfogging the Future by Cassandra Vablatsky (if studying OWL Divination)
Numerology and Grammatica (if studying OWL Arithmancy
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander (is Studying OWL Care of Magical Creatures)
Home Life and Social Habits of European Muggles by Wilhelm Wigworthy (if studying OWL Muggle Studies)
Home Life and Social Habits of British Muggles by Wilhelm Wigworthy (if studying OWL Muggle Studies)

"Defensive Magical Theory?" I questioned as we entered Flourish and Blotts.
Neville shrugged," It's another Lockhart isn't it?"
"It looks like it." I groaned.

Taking a quill, we crossed out all the books we already had at home the stared the ones that needed to be replaced. I held out my arms as Neville pulled the books from the shelves

We dodged flying books and seventh years running around as the picked up their pre-ordered NEWT level books.

Walking down Diagon Alley, large groups of people had the paper between them as the read the events of Harry's expulsion and the trail that followed.
The front page was a picture of Professor Dumbledore, standing next to the tall backed chair in the Ministry Courtrooms.
The Courtroom they used was a surprise to many, Courtroom ten was primarily used for Azkaban sentencing; with Bellatrix Lestrange and Barty Crouch junior being notable criminals to be sentenced.
From the newsstand, I noticed a familiar face right at the back of the committee.
"Oh fuck." I whispered as I saw the lady who was with Lucius Malfoy,

Neville rested his chin on my shoulder as he read the article," He got acquitted?"
"Looks like it." I mumbled," Dumbledore and a Squib called Arabella Fig came to his aid."
Neville sighed," Seamus is going to be pissed."

"Why?" I asked," I thought you guys were friends." and into my arms.
"Let's just get this paid for and then I'll explain," Neville looked around the room cautiously.
I nodded my head in understanding, not everyone in the wizarding world wanted to discuss recent political things, let alone overhear people talk about it.

Holding two of each book, we took them to the counter; as the books were typed into the old cash machine, the cashier looked at us then the Defensive Magical Theory then back at us.

"What year are you in?" He asked.
Neville opened his wallet," Fifth."
"Fifth?" He questioned," And this is on your OWL reading list?"
I nodded," Yeah."
"Good luck, cause this class will be as patronising as it comes." The cashier gave us a sympathetic look as he took the money from my brother and but the books into a brown paper bag.

Neville bobbed his head from side to side as we walked to madam Malkins," they are sort of friends, since Cedric; Seamus, as you know, is a little sensitive about the subject so one day his mum said that if things didn't cool down he would be pulled from school and sent to another magical initiation."
I pulled a face," Really? So instead of supporting his dormmate, he's being a little twerp about it?"
"I think he's scared like the rest of us," Neville sighed," If what Harry says his true, half his family is at risk, same with Dean."
I sighed," Yeah, but we aren't much better."
"Blood traitor club or what?"
Nodding slowly, I opened the door to the shop," Or what indeed little brother."