Exam Week

Chapter Twenty-Six: Exam Week

Defence Against the Dark Arts was my last O.W.L. exam.
Over the last two weeks, I had sat exams in Potions, Charms, Transfiguration, Divination, Care of Magical Creatures, Astronomy, History of Magic and Herbology. Each one of those exams had a theory exam and a practical exam.
I was tired and needed a nap. My brain was almost fried from regurgitating information on a consent cycle.
Hermione stood next to me, her head stuck in the Defence Against the Dark Arts book we had received at the beginning of the year, followed by other copies from the last five years.
The girl was a walking Library.
Pansy Parkinson on the other hand, was chewing gum and didn't even have a pencil case with her, two very different approaches to this exam.

The doors to the Great Hall opened and Delores Umbridge stepped out in a hot pink dress and a matching crop cardigan with a bow at the neck and a golden pin. She stood with a straight back and her hands clasped together.
"I'm sure you are already custom to how these proceed however, this has to be said," Umbridge walked up and down the line of the fifth-year class," When you enter the Hall, there will be no talking, anyone talking will have an automatic failure. On your desks will be the exam paper and a quill, you must not use your own. Seating arrangements are as in previous exams, starting from the front and working back in alphabetical order by surname and each vertical row of desks in each house. Any questions?"
We all stayed quiet.
"In that case, Slytherin first, please leave your belongings by the door and find your seats."

From different points in the line, the Slytherin students went first, Blaise gave me a a smile, mouthing the words Good Luck as he passed. Draco on the other hand, had dark circles under his eyes and appeared to be a walking corpse, he looked at me briefly before turning his head sharply to look away. Any of their whispering talks ended as soon as they passed through the doors.

"Ravenclaw, please leave your belongings at the door and find your seats."

Hermione smiled at us," Good Luck."
"You too," I whispered back as I entered the Great Hall in a line with Anthony, Isabelle, Mandy, Sue, Amanda, Michael, Anthony, Morag, Terry and Hadleigh.

Sitting in our column that was situated where our table would be for dinner, my place was in the middle of the line sitting behind Hadleigh. Draco was thankfully on the other side of the hall which made not looking over at him so much easier. 
As I sat on the wooden chair, I pursed my lips as I looked around the Hall, at the front was a pendulum that swung backwards and forwards and a blackboard sign that read:

Silence,
O.W.Ls In Progress
O.W.L Examinations
Use Magical Regulation 572 Azul Marino Ink ONLY.

Underneath the statement was the time the exam would start and the time it would sent two hours later.
Hufflepuff was next to enter the Hall, followed by Gryffindor, with the whole of the fifth year in their seats, Umbridge closed the doors to the Great Hall and walked down the middle of the rows of desks.
"The exam will start at 12:45 pm, and will last until 2:45 pm" Umbridge spoke, her voice echoing around the room," Please open your papers...Now."

1. What is the difference between defensive charms and defensive spells?

2. Hex Breakers are counter curses, name three Hexes and their counter-curses

3. What are the protective enchantments and what do they do?

4. What is a Hex Zapper spell?

5. How would you defend yourself against dark forces?

6.  What is the Etymology of the Bavarian Erklings

7. What are the differences between Grindylows, Red Caps and Hinkypunks?