Chapter 13

Rebecca kept her fingers firmly against Chris's wrist, her head bowed slightly as she focused on his pulse.

"Well?" You asked after a few moments of silence.

"It's getting stronger," Rebecca nodded slowly, removing her fingers after another minute or so. "Yeah, it's getting back to normal. He'll be just fine."

You let out a small sigh of relief, feeling it wash over your shoulders and remove the weight that lingered on them.

"You gave him the serum just in time," Rebecca commented, leaving Chris's right side to focus on the wound on his leg. "Another minute or so, he probably would've gone into shock or a coma. Did you know what type of snake it was?"

You shook your head, watching Rebecca fold a square of thick gauze a few times over. "No, I only know it was a diamond head shaped snake. Those are the poisonous ones."

"You're right." Rebecca proceeded to inspect the damage more, gently dabbing away the remnants of fresh blood that leaked from the wound. "Thankfully it wasn't too deep at all. If it was on his thigh, it could've severed a major artery. I don't even wanna imagine what could've happened if it did."

"Geez Rebecca," you smiled a bit, "You got this all written down on your arm or something?" You asked, all while taking a sip of your water that Rebecca had brought for you.

She giggled, folding a new piece of gauze while looking back at you. "I just really studied is all. Being a team medic means I have to know all of this down to the science, it comes naturally to me at this point."

"I bet it does." You watched her clean the wound completely of dry blood, exposing the slight swell and bruising around the scratch that was caused from the venom. Chris, in his unconscious state, sounded like he was improving slowly but surely. His breathing was no longer ragged and strained, and he didn't appear to flinch when Rebecca cleaned the wound with saline soaked gauze pads.

"You barely kept your eyes off him when I came back," Rebecca inquired, seeing your attention on Chris at this very second, "Did something happen?"

"Besides him blacking out," you began, leaning against your arm as you sat back some, "Not much. It just scared me the way he did." You kept staring at him, thinking back to how rough the texture of his hand was when it held your wrist, and just the way he looked at you. The look in general was something you couldn't get out of your head. Their was something else, some unfinished words that Chris looked like he was gonna say, but passed out before he could say it.

"Alright, I did all I could. Now we just have to let the serum do it's work." Rebecca finished tying some bandages around his leg to keep the gauze secured on the wound, setting the trash aside in a small pile away from the group.

"Thanks Rebecca." You saw her smile and nod, her attention frozen on Chris as she sat in her spot, just as excited in the anticipation for Chris to wake up.

Not even a full moment later, Chris began to stir. Both women rose slightly, seeing his head lift and his eyes blink, as if he had been sleeping.

"Chris!" You called out his name with excitement, a faint smile appearing on his lips as he acknowledged you.

"How're you feeling??" Rebecca asked, watching Chris blink some more as he appeared groggy and weak.

"What happened?" He asked, his voice faintly raspy due to his dry throat.

"You were bitten by a poisonous snake and fell unconscious," Rebecca commented, seeing you hand your water bottle to Chris, which he immediately took as he sat up from being against the wall. He drank graciously, sounding relieved after downing the rest of the bottle.