Chapter 12

"Oh my god, I didn't know a room could have so many spider webs." You looked up towards the wooden walls and wooden beams up above close to the ceiling, every single surface was covered in a cobweb or supported some, hanging like a delicately made woven curtain made from the finest silks.

"I'm guessing a massive spider infestation," Chris walked slowly, hearing the floor boards underneath him creak and tremble, the floor sounding poorly assembled.

"God, must be those huge spiders from Australia. Not to mention the size of these dust bunnies." He noted to the corners, not only completely blanketed with layers upon layers of spider webs, the dust was incredibly thick, like a dense fog had littered the room.

It was dark, barely much light besides a few lights hanging in strange areas, providing an uneven distribution of light to see properly.

"I don't suppose you see any team members in here, do you?" You asked, keeping your gun secured as you stopped beside a thick wooden beam in the middle of the room. Besides a few boxes, minor shelving, and dust bunnies, their weren't any random bodies lingering around.

"I don't." Chris replied, feeling his nose tickle from the dust. When they came across the door to this room, it looked nothing like the typical oak doors that led into every room throughout the mansion so far.
This door appeared hastily built, with splinters sticking out from the untreated wood.
Even the door handle had a fair share of dust that coated Chris's fingers when he touched it. It was like stepping into an abandoned cabin in the woods instead of a lavishly built mansion.

"We should leave," You turned around to look at Chris, "I feel like if I stay in here any longer it'll trigger an allergy attack."

"You could say that again..." Chris's voice halted, noticing something large slide from the beams above down to the ground.

Their was a sound of scraping behind you, something heavy dragging itself against the uneven floor boards, sounding almost like running a hand along sandpaper. The weight shift was enough to cause the floorboards to creak loudly, almost muting out the loud, heavy hiss that rang in your ears, causing your blood to run cold.

The look on Chris's face appeared horrified, his eyes widening at something that lingered above you, having you realize it was something large, and very tall. And you had a reasonable idea on what it was.

You turned around fast, aiming your gun at what ever was behind you. The first thing you saw were the massive sets of curved fangs protruding from the gums of the large extended mouth, murky yellow venom dripping off the tips mixed with thick streams of saliva. The last thing you noticed were the scales, a dark pine green mixed with a murky brown, running along the diamond shaped head down its body.

The massive snake's head lurched downwards fast, barely giving you enough seconds to dodge the snap of its mouth, catching a glimpse of its rich purple tongue slithering outwards.

You stepped back fast, your back colliding against the wooden pillar from before. The snake's large body stretched out through most of the room, making it difficult for you to run somewhere without risking a slip and fall.

A few gunshots rang throughout the room, a small series of bullet holes penetrating the side of the snake's head as Chris fired at it, causing the snake to hiss and turn towards his next victim.
He snapped over to Chris fast, forcing the man to jolt backwards to miss the blow by mere inches. While the snake was distracted, this gave you enough time to step away from the wooden beam, thinking of a quick way to get it's attention away from Chris.

It's large body dragged against the ground, scales scraping against wood as it slithered closer towards Chris. It got him to the point where he was trapped in the corner right besides the door like a mouse. He ran out of bullets in his magazine, the last shots he managed to get along its throat and jaw, dark blood seeping down the smooth scales on its underside.