Chapter 23

It turns out the crank that Enrico had with him before he died actually held some sort of use. Along the way, the caves seemed to be.. out of place, so to say.

Their were sections of the rock walls that were tilted off to the side and prevented you from walking forward due to a massive hole in the ground dropping down an unsettling amount of feet.
You watched Chris stick the handle into a slot in the rock wall to your left, proceeding to turn the crank. The walls around you faintly dropped small pebbles as the section of walls in front of you began to turn slowly, covering the hole in the ground with a more flat piece of rock for you to properly walk on.

It was a slow process, leaving you watching the walls turn as you kept your hands together, feeling them shake every now and then with every single shiver that shot down your spine. Your nerves hadn't exactly calmed after Chris spoke to you, but you were well aware now that Enrico didn't intend to kill you. You were just in the way of the supposed double crosser.

The fact that their was a double crosser here in the caves still unsettled you. Who exactly could it be? It definitely wasn't you, and you've been with Chris the entire time.

Jill? No, she doesn't look the type. Barry? No, he's dead. Rebecca is out of the question, she's just as new as you were, and beyond helpful as a medic. That only leaves Wesker, but he's the one who insisted this rescue mission for the first team that arrived here. So whoever it was had to have been from the first team. Right...?

"Come on." Chris continued to lead the way, walking on now solid ground towards the next door. It only welcomed you to a brand new cave tunnel, but a new item on the wall caught the both of you completely by surprise.

"What is that?" You asked Chris as he stared at the large rifle hanging on a slightly rusted metal rack on the rock wall. He picked it up slowly, seeing the rack raise upwards just a little, as if the gun was keeping it down.

"It's a flamethrower," Chris checked the red and blue canteens attached to the bottom of the gun, "It's here for a reason." He looked back at you, handing you the gun.

"You want me to carry it?" You looked at him with surprise in your tone, but you honestly didn't mind when the man nodded. The gun felt a little bit heavy in your hands, but in all honesty you were welcome to the extra weight. It's not every day you get to carry a flamethrower, and you haven't actually worked a flamethrower before either. You felt like you were gifted a new toy you were just dying to play with already.
Feeling a little excited, you continued to follow Chris until a sudden loud boom caused the man to stop in his tracks, almost making you bump into him if you weren't paying attention.

"What the hell-" Chris looked behind him, witnessing a massive boulder proceeding to roll down along the path, scratching the walls causing waterfalls of small rocks and dust to to fall in its wake. A trap of course, and it was heading straight towards the both of you.

Without any words, Chris grabbed ahold of your upper arm and pulled you with him as the man broke off into a fast speed, hearing the boulder grow closer as the loud rumblings rang even louder in your ears.
The both of you ran back towards the entrance where you came from, the small section of space providing the perfect escape to avoid being crushed.

Thinking fast, Chris wrapped his arms around your form as quick as he could, keeping you close as he lunged himself towards safety, feeling the boulder miss the both of you by what felt like a hair's width. The man turned his body in a way where upon landing on the solid rock ground, he would take the harsh impact by landing on his back.

When the danger passed, the silence was blanketed with heavy pants from all the running, both hearts beating frantically in the relief.
When Chris felt a little self situated, he turned to his left side slowly, releasing his unknowingly super secure hold on you to let you lay beside him. Your face was written with as much shock as Chris felt on the inside after what happened, but he was beyond glad that both of you were safe.