Chapter 64 The art of the game

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

"He is," Torcan confirmed. He smiled. "He wants to know me."

"Truly?" Ariane asked surprised, "that is good. I am happy to hear it."

Footsteps drew near and the two of them looked up to find Darius approaching them. "There you are," Darius spoke when he saw Torcan. He nodded at his sister.

"Did you need me?" Torcan asked.

His king held up his hand assuring. "It can wait." He turned to Ariane and kissed her temple. "Sis. I see you have grown into your role as wife of the crown prince. You manage the household well."

Ariane lowered her eyes. "Thank you."

"Where is your husband this morning?" Darius asked.

"He rose early," Ariane informed him, "the king sent for him."

Darius frowned. "Is there a meeting? "

"I do not know," Ariane said, "I was not informed."

"I'm sure if there is something we need to know, the king will inform us," Torcan said kindly, "for now, why don't we go eat breakfast. See how Mikos is doing. He is a long way from home after all."

Darius nodded. What Torcan said was true. And he was responsible for the young heir of Salvire. Besides, there were some things needed to be discuss as well.

They found Mikos at the breakfast table in the large dining hall, already having been served a generous meal. When Darius and Torcan entered with Ariane the young lord hurried to his feet and bowed.

Darius motioned with his hand for Mikos to sit down. "No need for formalities here and now," he said, "rest, eat. In a few days we will return home." He seated himself and immediately a plate of food was set in front of him. The scent of freshly baked bread was enough to make his stomach growl. He hadn't realized how hungry he was.

"Did you sleep well, lord Mikos?" Ariane asked, "I hope the room is to our liking. I have never seen Salvire. I sit much different?"

"It is, lady Ariane," Mikos nodded, "Auros is truly magnificent. I could never have imagined it to look like this."

"I hear you have shown great courage," Ariane continued, "my husband is very grateful for your assistance in defending Boncini."

Mikos looked down at the table. "You give me too much praise. Many men have fought to defend Boncini. I was merely one of them."

A faint smile appeared on Ariane's face. So humble, this one. "Even so," she said gently, "we thank you."

When they almost finished their breakfast, Cyrus walked into the room.

"Prince Cyrus," Darius spoke, "where is your father this morning? I had hoped to speak with him."

Cyrus shook his head. "I'm afraid that is not possible. He left on an urgent matter this morning. He will be gone several days."

Darius frowned. "He left at a time like this?!We are here to discuss how to defend our borders."

Cyrus narrowed his eyes at the Tirzé king. "And we will. It will take several days for the entire council to gather anyway. My father will return from his meeting soon. We will get the answers we need."

...

Elora leaned out of her window when she heard the commotion in the inner courtyard. The soldiers had returned from Salvire. She scanned the crowd for her husband, but Darius was nowhere in sight.

Nor was Torcan.

With a heavy heart, Elora rushed out of the room to meet the soldiers. Something must have happened.