Abeeha's review

Review by Abeeha

Title: Curtain Call
Author: rosewaltz
Reviewer: @Abeeha_32

Cover+Title:

What a beautiful cover! I love it so much. The usage of contrasting hues of cyan and red is very attractive and sure to attract many potential readers. The picture chosen perfectly defines the story content and is well thought of. The font however, seems a bit congested. It's not an overused or cliché font, just a bit haphazard. You can maybe write in a calligraphic font, that'd turn out amazing. For any other book, I'd suggest the author to enlarge the author's name but in this one, it looks well blended. I don't think it is much of a bother. Great work!

A fabulous title for your story, especially after the title drop in the last line of your blurb. 'Curtain Call' is perfect!

Blurb:

The blurb is just the perfect length, revealing the right amount of information to get your readers on board. To my amazement, there were absolutely no errors. I loved the comparison you have made by depicting their contradictory personalities. It's very intriguing and not cliché at all. Kudos to you!

Grammar+Writing Style:

(They are acts and scenes but I am mentioning the word 'chapter'. Hope it's clear)

Chapter-1
However, it seemed that belief was false.

Correction: However, it seemed that 'the' belief was false.

...and for god's sake, don't slouch so much.
Correction: ...and for God's sake, don't slouch so much.
Capitalize the 'g' of God.

He Who incited the Plot Twist...
Correction: He(,) who incited the Plot Twist...
Put a comma (,) after 'he' and the 'w' of 'who' should not be capitalized.

How pretentious.
Correction: How pretentious (!)
Consider putting an exclamation mark after pretentious.

There was about ten minutes left before the first bell.
Correction: There 'were' about ten minutes left before the first bell.

Since there's so many talented people...
Correction: Since there 'are' so many talented people.

Chapter-2
Alas, all good things came to an end.
Correction: Alas(!)All good things came to an end.

Chapter-3

Arav and Liam were familiar with life's luxuries thanks to their wealth.

Something is missing here in this sentence. I suggest you to either put a comma (,) after 'luxuries' or simply put a full stop (.) and start 'Thanks' with an uppercase 'T'.

Chapter-4
"Of course I will attend because Camilla will be pleased..."
Correction: Consider putting a comma (,) after 'Of course' so as to indicate a brief pause.

Chapter-5
By the time puja was over...
Correction: By the time 'the' puja was over.

He'd become used to reciting prayers he didn't mean to gods he didn't believe in.

Correction: First of all, consider putting a comma (,) after 'mean to' and then, capitalize the 'g' of gods.

Chapter-6

Barely five minutes in and already Jackie wanted to scream.
Correction: Barely five minutes in and Jackie wanted to scream already.

...estate so pristine it looked like a movie set.
Correction: Put a comma after 'pristine'

There were bags under her eyes and a few hairs had escaped her bun.
Correction: There were bags under his eyes and some of her 'hair' had escaped her bun.

'Hairs' is not correct and using the phrase 'a few' for an uncountable thing sounds wrong to me.

Her own fluency was mediocre at best due to lack of disuse.
Correction: You can either write it as 'lack of use' or simply 'disuse'. Lack of disuse doesn't justify the statement.

After these, I found only recurring errors so I will just list them.
*The most prominent error regarding grammar in your story is of comma placement. You've used commas in some sentences, but not at the right places. Always remember that a comma (,) determines a pause. This way, you'll be able to differentiate between punctuations and write correctly.

*Top-notch vocabulary and little to no typos at all. Absolutely mind-blowing!

*I absolutely adore your writing style. It sets such a calm, serene atmosphere that I can't even express. The hints of old-English and Shakespearen writing style is commendable. It gives off old-school, rustic vibes right away. Not to mention the breathtaking aesthetics at the beginning of every scene. Amazing!

Characters:

Arav- A very strong-headed and determined character. The character development here is impeccable and I absolutely love his character. The character work is lively and consistent and simply excellent. I found myself being attracted to him right from the time he came into the picture.

Jackie- The dreams and aspirations she has are all so well-depicted! It gives off the feels of a simple, small town girl who is fascinated by fairytales, happy endings and is too dreamy sometimes. It's visible with every little thought process that surrounds her mind. Her hatred for mathematics is shown consistently, which I hardly find in any other books. The character is thought through in detail and her qualities and imperfections are perfectly put together.

For the other characters, I'd say the same thing. A wonderful thinking process has brought all these characters to life, which is the best thing any author could achieve.

Plot:

A very rare and precious storyline. I love the idea of a theater novel and especially with those scenes and acts, it makes for a delightful read. The storyline is very smooth with almost no disruption of flow. There is also a lot of mystery and intrigue here, with secrets about Arav's past (relating to Jessica) and Liam's intentions. Captivating!
I'd suggest you to end chapters on a cliffhanger, so that your readers remain hooked to it. Nothing else.

Overall enjoyment:

If only I could write a long article on how much I enjoyed reading your work! It's like a breath of fresh air- mesmerizing. I was hooked from the beginning and I really formed an emotional connection with all the characters. This is very well-written and definitely deserves much more recognition than it has gained. You have lots of potential as an author and it was a pleasure to read your book. I pointed out some mistakes in the in-line comments of your book, while I pointed the others in the 'Grammar+Writing Style' section here. Hope you can make the changes and trust me, nobody can stop you from reaching heights. Thank you for choosing me as your reviewer and I hope you found this helpful, love.

Until next time ♥️