"A new bodyguard," she explained, "compliments of my grandmother."

I rose an eyebrow. "Your grandmother...the Queen, you mean?"

"That's the one," she sighed and rolled her eyes. The two of us were silent for a moment, neither one really knowing what to say.

"I-I'm so sorry about your father."

"And I'm sorry about yours."

I winced a little. When she met my eyes, there was a resiliency there that I hadn't seen before. Her father was dead, yes, but Mara would go on remembering that he was a good man and a good father.

My father who had caused so much destruction and caused me so much pain, however, was not dead. And somehow, I was relieved.

Neither of us was keen to continue the subject so I glanced behind her at the faerie soldier with hair so black it almost looked blue. I looked back at Mara who already looked exasperated at his presence.

"He's hot," I whispered, "are princesses allowed to date bodyguards."

She snorted. "As far as I'm concerned, princesses can do whatever the hell they want. Do you want to give him a go? Do I need to distract Tucker?"

I laughed a little and noticed the small smirk that lifted onto the lips of her protector. Of course, supernatural hearing, duh. There was something strange about him, but I couldn't put my finger on it. He lingered like smoke, moving when she did, and maintaining a watchful eye around the entire warehouse.

Ben waved his hand at me, motioning me over to where he was standing next to Jacob and Gray. I glanced back at Mara, feeling as though I wouldn't see her again for a long time. Feeling like I needed to say goodbye.

"You know if you ever need a daemon who wears too much black..."

She grinned, her eyes full of grief but her shoulders set in a way that didn't allow for pity. "I know just who to call."

I bid her goodbye, watching as she and the bodyguard excused themselves from the warehouse. Both of their energies were strange mixing together, different shades of deep violet. The image of the two of them walking together spurred the feeling of a dark, incoming vision.

But I squashed it.

"So," Ben began as I approached the group of three, "we found something."

I groaned. "No. No way. I'm off duty. Call somebody else. I'm out of commission. Gone. Please leave a message at the beep. Beep."

"Oh, quit whining. Here." Ben pushed an object into my hands.

Jacob chuckled a little and Ben rolled his eyes at my dramatics. I didn't have to look down to know what it was. The energy and power that flowed through my hands were enough to tell me.

"The Codex," I whispered.

"Yep," Gray grinned, "Ben said it was apparently written by your like great-great-great-great-great-great grandpa or something."

I glared. "Could've been a grandma."

His friendly grin grew wider and I inspected the book in my hands, curiosity almost taking over. I wanted to rip the book open and pour over its contents. I'd searched so long for answers about myself and this book had them. But I wondered...did I need someone to give me answers?