Chapter 28

The weekend could not have come fast enough

Despite the fact that Ben had periodically been dropping off the work that I'd missed and Tucker's daily visits, I was beginning to lose my mind being stuck in the house for the last three days. However, I was able to watch my mom start to go back to normal which almost made up for it. The nights that she cried were getting fewer and further between. Truth be told, I'd get beat up all over again if it meant she'd go completely back to normal.

It was late when Tilly texted me that she was waiting outside my house. Being careful not to wake Harry or my mom, I padded softly down the hallway in my socks. Neither of them would be keen on the plan that had formed in my head.

A door creaked open behind me and I froze.

Harry's dark curls popped out from his bedroom door. Our eyes met, mine wide and his sleepy.

He rubbed his eyes. "Just...use protection."

"H-Harry, what?"

"Tucker," he mumbled, still looking half-asleep, "tell him I'm not ready to be an uncle."

He turned and reentered his room leaving me in the hallway, shocked and very confused. Obviously, Harry had a very different idea of where I was sneaking off to. Shaking that off, I jogged (best that I could with healing ribs) to Tilly's car toting the bag of things I'd collected from inside the house.

"Alright, Nancy Drew, time to tell me what the hell we're doing."

I held up the bag full of snacks and coffee and smiled at her. "A good old-fashioned stakeout."

Tilly snorted, thinking I was joking. After a long look at my face, she realized that I was still serious. She sighed.

"Alright, whatever. I'm in."

An hour later, Tilly and I had driven past the third property listed on Owein's real estate portfolio searching for any sign of the woman I was looking for. It was the fourth property that we came to when we finally spotted something strange. We pulled up to a strip of buildings in the downtown area. The parking lot in front of the buildings were abandoned, apart from one single car. Tilly parked across the street, facing the front of the buildings and the parking lot.

"So are you going to quit being so cryptic and tell me what we're doing here?"

I, however, was distracted by the lone car in the parking lot. I barely registered what Tilly had asked as a strange sensation ran up and down my back- that was never a good sign.

"Do you recognize that car?" I asked, disregarding her question and rolling down my window to get a better look.

"No, and Lou-"

"I swear I've seen it before..." my voice trailed off as I searched my brain for an answer.

"LOU!" Tilly shouted, finally grabbing my attention. "What are we doing here?"