Chapter 38

Ben's voice on the phone was the perfect amount of shock to describe how I felt on the inside

Ben's voice on the phone was the perfect amount of shock to describe how I felt on the inside. Neither he nor Tilly had known that Johnathan and a witch named Sam had ever lived in West Acres before.

Tilly promised me that she would ask her Yia-Yia about the woman and if she'd been in their coven. Ben, however, hadn't ever heard his mother mention a daemon named Johnathan. He recalled her talking of their old pack daemon, but she'd never used the name. And never said what happened to him.

Tucker and I left the hospital with answers that we hadn't wanted to questions that we didn't know were important. We'd gotten Johnathan's address from his form, but neither of us wanted to point out the obvious idea that he hadn't used his real location. Or, if he did, he was long gone by now.

Regardless, he'd sent Jacob and Megan to check.

Tucker continued to glance at me as he drove, one hand on the steering wheel and the other was in my lap, keeping my hands from fidgeting.

He was concerned for me, I could tell. We'd both just found out that his mother was responsible for making my father succumb to the darkness that threatened every daemon. Both of us were thinking the same thing: what better way to get revenge on the woman who murdered the love of your life but by killing the only other people she'd ever loved?

Hell, it wasn't even me I was worried for.

"Why does there have to be so many threats against your life?" I groaned, knocking my head against the headrest. He chuckled a little, smirking.

"Sorry, sunshine. You'll just have to save me again."

I raised an eyebrow at him and he quickly reconsidered his words. "I- I'm joking, of course. You don't ever have to do that again, I mean, never have to do that again."

As he continued his tirade, visibly flustered, I finally let out an exhausted laugh.

When we finally arrived back at my house, Tilly and Ben were already waiting outside with Harry. Ben was carrying large boxes out of Tilly's trunk when we pulled up. Quickly, they explained that the boxes contained information the pack had taken from the hunters' hideout. Somewhere in the boxes, they hoped, we could find Johnathan's real location. Or maybe find out what he was planning. Or find where he was keeping the creatures he'd taken.

You know, easy stuff.

I grunted as I picked up one of the boxes from Tilly's trunk to lug inside and watched with unrestrained jealousy as Tucker piled three boxes up into his arms to jog past me into the house. Harry groaned beside me, struggling with one box like I was.

"That's is so not fair," he muttered and I laughed, agreeing with him. "I'm your older brother. I'm supposed to be able to beat up your boyfriends."

"You can certainly try, big brother."

I watched Tucker's muscles move in his arms as he carelessly stacked the boxes on top of each other. He smiled a little at me as he took the box from my hands and then from Harry's. He'd heard our conversation and I could tell that he found it amusing as he raised an eyebrow at Harry with a pseudo-threatening look.