Chapter 39

I resisted the urge to scream at the face that appeared in front of my line of vision

I resisted the urge to scream at the face that appeared in front of my line of vision. My senses went haywire as I registered the unfamiliar surroundings of the room I was in. It was difficult to sit up for some reason, but my neck craned painfully from my position to look around frantically trying to find answers.

I was no longer in my bedroom but laying on a couch in a bleak and bare apartment. My hands and feet were bound tight with a rope that was chaffing my skin. A tv played static in front of me. Alice Galloway sat at the end of the couch. Johnathan stood next to the tv.

"You fucking kidnapped me... again?" I groaned, bashing my head back into the arm of the couch in exasperation. "You have some weird thing for making me the damsel in distress, don't you?"

Alice snorted. "You're no damsel."

"Yeah, but you'll see how distressed I am when I show you your worst nightmares," I spat out at her, seeing red in my vision.

Normally when I would threaten her, Alice would laugh or brush it off. She knew she was stronger than me and a better fighter, but this time was different. This time she kept her face blank as she stood from the couch, moving out of my reach. She'd known to take my threat seriously. Good.

"Where's Tucker?" I asked.

My father raised an eyebrow and I couldn't help but flush as I'd just revealed to my father that my boyfriend had been sleeping in my bed. It was such a human and normal reaction to have at this moment that I was slightly caught off guard, but I was almost embarrassed.

"He wasn't there when Alice retrieved you."

I winced at the word 'retrieved' like I was a piece of mail rather than an actual human being. My eyes flitted toward Alice and noticed with some pleasure that she still seemed rather wary of me. She was sure not to stand close to my position and I was glad for it.

"And how exactly did the redheaded bitch carry me outside of my house without waking up any member of my family?"

The fear I held over Alice was diminished at that moment as a sick smile curved on her lips. My stomach plummeted thinking of her coming into contact with Harry or my mother.

"Who said they didn't wake up?"

My response was caught in my throat as the urge to vomit overcame me. Johnathan nodded his head toward the door and Alice nodded curtly and left. I glared at the man in front of me. His usual warmth and smile were missing from his face. I realized that he wasn't familiar to me. I had trusted him because I'd had no other choice, but I'd never known him. And I never would.

"Harrison and your mother are safe," he assured me as if that would make it better, "they're not who I need."

We both looked at the other, neither of us saying a word. I'd never felt so much anger toward anybody in my entire life- not even Owein. The man in front of me orchestrated everything all for some sick ritual. My ribs still ached to remind me of his part in the abyss that had overcome West Acres.