Chapter 22

"You-" Megan began, but she was cut off

"Megan," Tucker bit out sharply before a full argument could ensue, "Out. Now."

The other girl was about to argue, but she couldn't very well deny a direct order from her leader. Instead, she gave me one last withering look and I shot her the most dazzling smile I could muster in my exhausted state. She slammed the door to the office shut behind her. I turned my attention warily to the alpha now.

To my surprise, his eyes were twinkling in a mixture of amusement and something else. My throat grew thick under his gaze. Desperate to change the mood somehow, I nodded my head toward the door that Megan just left out of.

"Love her," I remarked sarcastically, "I think we'll be best friends."

Tucker's head tilted as he inspected my face. I wondered what he saw there. Neither of us spoke as the mixing our our energy in the room became tantalizing.

"Lou," he began softly and walked over to me. He sat on the small couch next to the chair I was in, only feet away. His close proximity made me anxious, I felt it like pin pricks into my arms. "What's going on?"

"I'm here to help you and your third-in-command was having some issues with my morale but she can shove her morale up her-"

"Lou," Tucker interrupted, "I know you better than that. Last night you were- you were shaking and screaming. Something is up and you're not telling me."

"I don't have to tell you anything," I bit.

He sighed, his face falling slightly as he looked at the ground and I began to regret my harsh tone. When he looked back up, there was a wistful smile on his face.

"I deserve that," Tucker nodded and continued, "whatever you're going through...you don't deserve to go through it alone."

I swallowed a little. He could tell. He could see that I was slipping. The exhaustion must have been more noticeable than I thought. But I thought of Sophia Angelos and Tilly. All of the witches and I had to know something.

"Do you know about the restrictions put on witches by werewolves?"

The expression on his face was enough to tell me what I wanted to know. His brows had furrowed and his face was scrunched up in confusion. His confusion was marked by the 'huh' he huffed out at my question. He knew nothing about it, and I decided that filling him in on some of his responsibilities wouldn't do either of us much good. I would have to ask Anna.

"Never mind, forget I asked."

The look of confusion hadn't left his face, but it was growing now into concern. "Is that what's wrong? Is that what your nightmares are about? You look- er rough."

He scratched the back of his neck and I rolled my eyes. I looked like shit, I knew, but it was always so nice to have someone else point it out.