chapter thirty four

chapter thirty four: welcome cooking interruptions

It wasn't often that Matilda would let herself daydream these days but as she stood in the kitchen of her apartment, she let her mind wander. Her left hand lazily stirred some pasta sauce, making sure the small pieces of bacon weren't going to burn or stick to the bottom of the pan. The room was filled with the smell of tomatoes and fresh herbs causing Matilda to smile slightly, a smell of home. She had stuck on one of her favorite records and the music spun around, the girl humming along.

James would be getting home any minute, his shoulders heavy and slight bags under his eyes. But as soon as he looked at the door in front of him, hearing a soft humming and the smell of her food, he felt it all wash away. The tension and anger he felt were all contained in his balled-up fists which he let slowly unravel.

Twisting the rusty gold doorknob, the smell intensified as soon as he walked through the door and the sound of it closing behind him was enough to snap Matilda out of her daze. She could see how exhausted the man in front of her was causing her to give him a wide smile before wordlessly crossing the room and wrapping her arms around him. She shoved her face into the crook of his neck, her small hands softly grasping at the hair that sat at the nape of his neck. She stood on the tips of her toes before relaxing a bit more as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

His hair still had some defined curls even though he was most definitely overdue for a wash. Matilda moved her head slightly, allowing James to snuggle into her, both of them letting out a content sigh. 

"I've got to go stir the pot." Matilda dropped her hands from his neck and attempted to turn to go back to her sauce but James held her in place, not letting her move away at all.

"No, you don't." Matilda laughed, letting her hands fall on his shoulders as he pulled her closer to him by her waist, practically lifting her off the ground.

"James! Do you want dinner or not?" The boy wordlessly pulled out his wand and used a spell causing the spoon to suddenly begin to stir on its own, something that most wizards and witches did to cook but of course, Matilda was not any witch. 

"Dance with me." James pulled his head out of her chest, his glasses fogged up from his breath causing Matilda to giggle and quickly use her shirt to wipe the condensation away. Queen's Love of my Life began to play through the room as Matilda placed his glasses back on his nose, the two beginning to dance to the music. 

"We're getting married tomorrow. We'll be doing plenty of dancing then." James shook his head as he began to smile.

"Yes, but you forget that tomorrow all of our friends and family will be watching. Tonight, it's just us." James' smile faltered at his own words, something Matilda was quick to notice.