chapter thirty one

chapter thirty one: a hallowe'en party to remember

The air swirled with autumn leaves and mischief as music pours out of the half-open windows, letting in some of that chilly air that the apartment definitely needed. The Hallowe'en party was in full swing and the booze was flowing through all of their veins. It wasn't an absolute crazy party but everyone seemed to be having a jolly good time with the company that was there and Ozmo was just loving the fact that there were more than two people in the house.

James and Sirius were having a debate about who did the best Hallowe'en prank during their years at Hogwarts with the former and the latter arguing it was them. Remus and Gabi had begun a deep and lovely conversation about her time abroad and how she felt that now her parents were well within the dark lords ranks now. Peter leaned down and played with Ozmo, smiling widely as the dog licked his face. As much as the booze made them all cheery and unbothered, the weight of war still sat on each of their shoulders, they were all just happy to forget about it for a night.

Matilda smiled drunkenly in a conversation about her baked goods with the Longbottoms, a couple that Matilda aspired to be like with their effortless couple charm and obvious connection. It was possible that drunk Matilda had now taken over the reins in her mind but that was something to deal with later. 

"You're gonna have to teach Alice to bake like that!" Frank shouted as he bit into one of her pumpkin-flavored treats.

"Oh, no love. You're the cooker, she'll teach you." Alice let out a melodic laughed and held onto Frank's bicep as they excused themselves, saying they should probably go mingle some more before everyone got too drunk to form a coherent sentence. Matilda believed it was a bit too late for that but she just shrugged and grabbed another drink for herself, planning on mingling as well though she was well and truly drunk by that point.

"Well, if it isn't Mrs. Potter. The war stories we've heard about you and now we finally get to talk in the flesh." Matilda turned and it was not like she even had to ask for their names as the Prewett Twins were well known in their household. 

"I feel as if I should ask for an autograph. You're practically famous in the order, Potter won't shut up about you." The mischievous twins that had absolutely ruined her boys as they tried to one-up them every chance they got usually resulting in disastrous consequences that she had to hear about over and over again.

"No no no, not Mrs. Potter. Miss Matilda Allens, at your service." Matilda did a drunken curtsey even though she was wearing pants and the boys clapped for her, loudly. 

"Oi Potter, do you mind if I take your woman? Since you're not married, I can have her right?" The one Matilda believed was Gideon yelled causing James to turn his head away from his conversation and shout at them.