chapter seven

chapter seven: food is the quickest way to a man's heart

The next couple of days went by slowly with Matilda being bored out of her mind as assignments hit her in full swing, the girl being stressed about the classes she was taking as the workload piled up. She had only chatted with James in her potions class where Matilda tried to focus on the work but found herself slipping behind the group. Matilda put her head in her hands before grabbing the letter that her grandmother had sent her, deciding that she had been studying hard enough and she deserved a break to just open and read it.

Dear Tilly,

I'm glad that you're practicing your baking as long as you're not falling behind in your studies, remember that your magical studies are much more important when you're at Hogwarts instead of my plain old granny things. Sounds like my old baking tricks are working, remember my dear, the quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

Mr. Stewart is still trying to flirt with me and my gosh, that man is as much charming as he is annoying. I know you're stressed, my love, but just take a deep breath. You don't have to decide what you want to do with your life right now. Your father took years to decide what he wanted to do. Just have fun, my love. I miss you. So does Ozmo.
Lots of love,
Granny

Matilda smiled, holding back the tears that welled up in her eyes before taking her grandmothers' advice and she took a deep breath. She closed her eyes and focused on her breathing, unaware that James Potter was walking toward her, a slight look of concern on his face.

"Hey, are you alright?" The two hadn't really spoken since the Hufflepuff versus Gryffindor match. Matilda opened her eyes and looked up at him with a stressed smile, running a hand through her hair and puffing out her cheeks.

"Yeah, yeah, just studying for potions."James smiled and pulled up a chair, settling down beside her as she looked intently at her book, trying to figure out the measurements.

"Lucky for you, I am absolutely brilliant at Potions. I can help you." Matilda was absolutely not the kind of person that was too proud to pass up on help so she moved her work next to James who began to explain how she would go about answering each question.

"You'd be a good teacher, James." The Gryffindor boy blushed before leaning up and puffing out his chest dramatically.

"I would, wouldn't I? I'm just too good." Matilda rolled her eyes and shoved James slightly as they continued to study, the boy laughing loudly causing other students to glare at him. He shoved his glasses further up his nose as he stared at her focused on writing down all the information that she needed. He admired the way she swiped her tongue across her bottom lip whilst concentrating, her brows knitting together.