chapter twenty nine

chapter twenty nine: the pain and pleasure of the past

Matilda remembered vividly when she was a young girl, bright-eyed and being sent off to Hogwarts for the first time. Her Grandmother had driven her to Kings Cross station, holding the young girl's hand every step of the way. Matilda may have gone to school before Hogwarts but the small child had not really had any proper friends. Sure, she had friends that had lasted a year because they were in the same class but other than that, her grandma was her only friend.

Matilda froze as they stood in front of the Hogwarts Express, her bottom lip quivering ever so slightly with fear. Some of the other kids and their parents looked at the clearly muggle woman who stood beside her, a slight sneer on their lips as she looked down at her granddaughter. 

"What's wrong, peanut?" May Allens leaned down in front of the little girl that would forever have her entire heart. Matilda reminded her so much of her son when he was younger. She missed him dreadfully, he was the light of her life and Matilda had become her new light in these dark times.

"What if I don't make any friends?" May smiled at the young girl and shook her head as she straightened the clothing she wore and pushed some of the hair behind her ear. 

"My love, you are a bright, amazing young girl and anyone here would be lucky to have you as a friend." The girl nodded, smiling widely as her hair bounced with her movements before she wrapped her arms around May. It didn't take much to reassure Matilda, especially since she trusted her grandmother's words more than anything else.

"I love you, granny. I'll see you later!" Matilda hugged her grandmother tight before grabbing her things and rushing onto the train. May watched the young girl, wiping her gathering tears off her cheeks with the sleeve of her cardigan. Although the last couple of years had been hard on them, raising Matilda had made them go extremely quickly for May. Matilda waved from the train windows as she got into a carriage, a wide, toothy smile on her face.

Matilda remembered this being one of her most fond memories of Hogwarts as well as when she met her friends, her first kiss with a boy who didn't deserve it and when she became friends with James in the kitchens. And today was her last day at Hogwarts and every single one of her fond memories had led her to this day. Her bags were packed, her dorm empty of everything that she had grown up with. She sat down in the common room for the last time with Louisa and Evan, the three of them looking around the room with a smile on their faces.

"What are you gonna miss the most?" Matilda asked quietly, looking up at the small plants the trailed up the walls, reaching toward the moonlight. She had always loved the Hufflepuff common room, the thought of the comfy armchairs making her sigh. 

"Definitely the food. I'm going to miss having someone else cook all the meals for me." Louisa said, laughing slightly as she remembered all the times she was hungover and could simply walk to the kitchens and have some nice warm food ready for her.