chapter twenty

chapter twenty: i think i might like james potter

James had no doubts in his mind that Matilda would be loved by both of his parents but now he just thought they were going a bit overboard and wondered if his parents loved her more than they loved him. Matilda had brought her suitcase filled with her homely possessions and his parents were extremely curious about the muggle objects. James and Sirius sat outside, just relaxing as they heard a squeal from James' mother.

"Fleamont! There's music in my ears!" The two boys let out a soft chuckle before Sirius turned his head towards his best friend, James not noticing the look he was being given.

"So why haven't you made a move, Prongs?" James turned to his best friend, rolling his eyes and shoving his hands into his pockets. It was the question that he believed he had been asked the most and it was one he gave the same answer to.

"Don't start with that now." James groaned causing Sirius to laugh and lean forward, looking toward the door as he heard Matilda laugh lightly. Her laugh really was a lovely thing to hear.

"Come on. We were all talking on the way here. You two are basically dating, might as well make it official." James scratched the back of his neck and sniffed whilst wiggling his nose as he looked anywhere but Sirius.

"She's just an affectionate person, she's the same with Morberg." Sirius shook his head and joking ruffled his friend's locks.

"You were never like this with Lily. What happened to my best friend who chased love," Sirius said causing James to sigh and lock his hands together in front of him.

"Lily was different, is different. Lily is outgoing and so sure of herself and what she wants. I don't want to ruin what I have with her because I know that I will never find that again. She's one of a kind." Sirius watched as James stood up and leaned against the door frame causing Sirius to follow and see what scene was unfolding inside. It was an unusual Christmas Eve and they all wouldn't have it any other way.

"Oh, look at the time. Best be off to bed, you lot." Matilda looked up at Euphemia before giving a small smile to James as they all walked to their rooms or at least Matilda walked to James' room. It's not that she expected James to be messy but she certainly didn't expect it to be so clean. His dorm room at Hogwarts certainly wasn't. She suspected Euphemia cleaned up quite a bit before she had arrived. She let out a sigh as she sunk onto the bed, her eyes fluttering at the bed which seemed to be the most comfortable thing in the world.

"Making yourself at home, I see." James teased as he walked in, wearing a sweater with some sweatpants making him look like the definition of comfortable.

"Not my fault you have the most comfortable bed I have ever been on." James let out a chuckle and shook his head, a curl drooping on his forehead and grazing the top of his glasses. He looked absolutely beautiful and Matilda was having a hard time looking away but she eventually managed to do so. A faint blush rose to her cheeks as she slipped underneath the covers, watching as James grabbed some things.