chapter twenty eight

chapter twenty eight: future pie maker

It was time. The N.E.W.T's were finally upon the students at Hogwarts and whilst some had begun to cope now that they had begun, others most definitely weren't. Other houses considered Hufflepuffs to be the dumbest of the houses at Hogwarts and whilst some did not consider their studies the highest of their priorities, they were all extremely hardworking. 

Evan was the most hardworking out of the trio when it came to his studies, wanting to get the scores he needed to achieve his goals and go above and beyond. Louisa was a bit more relaxed than him but she currently had a pencil shoved behind her ear and a quill firmly in her hand, her teeth gnawing on her bottom lip as she focused. Matilda though did not think that her life would be more successful with the N.E.W.T's in high regard. She felt guilty as she looked at the students stressed around her, having seen more than one student crying in the library over it.

Matilda had been awake the entire night before her potions exam and had been tossing and turning as she once again contemplated her future, something that she had been thinking about quite a bit lately. As much as James had joked about her becoming a housewife, they both knew that she was destined for so much more than that. James was a fighter and he planned to do exactly that after his schooling which made the girl slightly nervous but she supported him nonetheless. Matilda may have a slight fire within her but she was a lover first and a fighter second when absolutely necessary, someone that wanted to make a change but didn't have the heart or the stomach for it.

So, what was she destined for? Matilda thought about all the things she had been good at over her years of living. Knitting? She had no clue where that would get her, she couldn't exactly do that for a living. She had jumped over the obvious multiple times as she cuddled Ozmo in her bed, petting the dog softly as he let out soft snores of content.

"What's wrong?" Matilda looked over at Louisa and sighed, softly pulling at her dog's ears causing him to let out a sigh of content. 

"Do you think I could become a baker? Like as a job?" Louisa let out a soft chuckle, the noise echoing in the darkness of the room, trying to not wake the other girls in the dorm who slept deeply.

"Are you daft? Of course, you could. We all expected you to do something of the sorts." Matilda let out a soft laugh and lay back on her bed, wrapping one arm around Ozmo for warmth causing the dog to nuzzle his nose into the crook of her neck.

"I just don't want to fail at it. Baking was always something I did with my grandmother and I just don't want to disappoint her." Louisa frowned and got up from her bed, softly walking over to Matilda's bed and slipping in, giving her a hug which the girl was quick to reciprocate. 

"Don't ever think like that. Your Granny would be so proud of you and she'll continue to be proud of you whatever you decide to do." Matilda sniffled a little bit as she hugged Louisa tightly, dampening her shoulder a little bit. She was quick to reach up and wipe away the tears that had slowly gathered, feeling guilty that her tears had fallen.