chapter eleven: Pai Sho

___

___

As Lyra already assumed, living in Ba Sing Se was nightmare. She was there less then week and every day was same. Nothing new happened and everyone acted like it was their dream life.

Lyra's job was simple - she was supposed to do absolutely nothing. In Ba Sing Se none is outsider, every trief and creepy person belonged there. She would just wear Earth Kingdome clothes whole day and practicing sword fighting. For some reason, hook swords were her new favorite weapon and she couldn't wait to use it on someone.

She walked around city and decide to visit one of tea shops. People seem to enjoy there but something told her that she would be dissapointed. There was no better tea then Iroh's.

When she entered inside young waiter with old earth kingdom clothes showed her where to sit with (not so) gentle smile. She agreed with him and waited for tea with low expectations. After few minutes he bring her tea and sat next to her. Lyra eyed him before speaking. 'Is there some problem, teaboy?' her voice was hard and she glared at him. Boy tried to have smile at face but she clearly wasn't interested in drinking with anyone.

'I'm Noah, and I was thinking--' he started but Lyra cutted him. 'Exactly. You thought.' Boy keep smiling and didn't get up which only made Lyra angry. She wasn't fan of people from Ba Sing Se, and if they aren't White Lotus, there is no way that she would make friends with them.

'I never saw you here, miss-' he said sweetly but Lyra just glared at him. When boy realised that girl won't answer he continue talking. 'Alright, play hard to get. Do you like our tea?'

She take sip and almost threw up. Her expression was enough to answer his question. 'It's nothing but hot leaf juice.' her voice was calm and boy grinned. 'You are adorable when you dislike something. Do you have boyfriend?'

'No, but I have swords and anger issues. Maybe you would like to go before I show you both of them?' she fake smiled at boy but her eyes were glaring in his direction. 'Swords? You are girl.' he said with laugh which caused Lyra to put her cup of tea down and stood up. She placed hand on his shoulder and pressed it's weak point, so boy quietly yelled.

'Yes, I am girl.' she whispered in his ear, taking step back. 'And if you disrespect any other girl ever again, this girl would end you without hesitation. Remember-' she started, but then man with table for Pai Sho entered in shop. Lyra decide to stop her conversation with guy and play one game with man since he had lotus card first in his hand.

'You are crazy! Even if you can do anything to me, I have friends and--' boy whisper-yelled and Lyra laughed at his paranoic behavior. He was flirting with her minutes ago and now he is ready to attack her. It reminded her at her and Zuko's hang outs. She putted money on table and stood up. 'Goodbye, Noah.'

Lyra notice man again in corner of room and sat on the other side of table. If he was from White Lotus, this was her chance of reunion. She could see Bumi again. 'Can I?' she asked carefully, eyeing man in front her. 'Of course, young lady.'

As rules requested, Lyra played white lotus card. Man started at her, eyeing her carefully. She assumed that he didn't believe her, but it was his job to ask. 'Lotus tittle? Not many still cling to the ancient ways.' he said quietly, eyeing girl to see is she someone in disguise. She just gently smiled, replaying in second. 'Ones who do can always find a friend.' she joined her hands and then opened them, representing blossom flower and man did the same. They putted titles on table without watching, forming shape of lotus.

'The White Lotus open wide to ones who knows his secrets.' He said quietly, carefully eyeing Lyra. He didn't know how she knew, but ancient rules were simple - you must to let the ones who know secrets.

'Who are you, young girl?' his voice was even more quiet, but Lyra didn't even move. She just smiled. 'I have better question. Who are you?' her voice was loud enough only for man to hear it.

'Dervin. I'm one of regruters. I assume that you need help?' he questioned and Lyra nodded. 'I need to see members. It's important.'

'Someone special?' Dervin asked and Lyra shake her head. 'No. Anyone, for now.' he quickly stood up and taked his table for pai sho under arm, showing Lyra to follow him. They walked around city until they reached territory about which Lyra only heard stories - lake Laogai.

Man walked in small forest near lake, watching around if Dai Li's are watching. In forest, well hidden, was small cottage. They entered and everything seem normal, except misterious door at the end.

'Few members are here now. You have to answer on question and enter.' Dervin explained, but before he knocked on door, Lyra nervously laughed. 'Yeah, about that... Questions are changing on 50 years, right?' her voice was insecure and on her bad luck, man nodded. 'You are young, if you really know about this questions are easy part.'

He knocked and only eyes showed up at small hole on doors. Before person could ask question, Lyra acted on it. She pulled right sleeve, revealing her arrow and showing it to man behind door. His eyes opened wide and she pulled sleeve down.

'Thank you, Dervin.' voice behind door was unknown for Lyra, and man behind her seem ready to show her to leave since she didn't even get question but man behind doors stopped him. 'Let her in. This is important.'

Doors opened and revealed room with four man inside. As Lyra entered the man from doors bowed down to the floor, falling on his knees and others followed him, even tough they didn't know what was happening. Man spoke, his voice full with respect.

'It's honour meeting you, great princess Lyra.'