Chapter Eight | Back Home

——————— ♛ ♛ ♛———————

The next day, Darrel visited her close friend (and former admirer), Paul Ringer. Allen and Sidney accompanied her since Benjamin stood guard the previous night. Darrel arrived at her friend's house and found him in the back, weeding the flowerbed. Paul looked up as they approached and sunk into a bow.

"Darrel, it's so good to see you again!" He cried. "Happy birthday!"

"Hi, Paul," she smiled. "I've missed you."

"So have I. I can't remember the last time we saw each other. I'm sorry that I'm such a mess...but come in, I'll make us a brew."

Paul wiped his dirt-filled hands on his pants and then lead the others into the kitchen. After the guards did a sweep through the room, they left to stand guard outside.

"Where's your mother?" Darrel inquired, as she sat down.

"In London," Paul responded, placing the kettle on the stove.

"I'm surprised that you didn't go with her. You always enjoy a change of scenery."

"Well, someone had to look after the property."

"I thought your mother hired a local boy for that."

Paul shrugged as he took a seat across from his friend. He fidgeted with his hands, causing Darrel's expression to turn serious.

"Paul, what's going on?" Darrel asked. "Is everything all right?"

"My mother's flowers did not sell as well as usual," Paul explained. "She had to let the local help go, and if she doesn't do better in the next few months..."

"I'm so sorry, I had no idea."

"Well, I didn't want to tell you. I assumed it was a bad week of sales, and I thought that you would have your problems."

"Paul, we are friends. You can tell me anything. I will always have time for you."

Paul gave her a grateful smile and then got to his feet as the kettle began to whistle. He poured two cups of tea and then brought them to the table.

"Do you think the guards want tea?" Paul inquired.

"I don't even know if they eat," Darrel smirked. "They just stand at attention."

He chuckled as he sat back down.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" The princess offered.

"We'll be fine," Paul assured. "My mother went to London to ask my father for help."

Paul's parents, Helen and Sir Charlie Ringer (a member of the Royal Victorian Order) did not live together. They fell out of love and decided that it wouldn't be a good idea to stay in a fake marriage. Although they did not want to get a divorce, so they pretended that Sir Charlie needed to live in London for his work. They claimed that Helen loved Downton too much to leave. Despite not loving each other, Sir Charlie still cared for his family and wanted to help as much as possible. Due to her pride, Helen insisted on making her money by growing and selling spectacular flowers.