Chapter Twenty-Eight | The Prince and the Dukes

——————— ♛ ♛ ♛———————

"Ugh, His Majesty is officially mad at me. I need a new plan," Perseus Chadwick groaned, entering his library to find Philip Villiers lounging on the couch.

"Why?" Philip inquired, not looking up from a book he'd taken off the shelves.

"How long have you been here?"

"About an hour. I would have told you, but your butler told me that you were having a bit of a meltdown in your study."

"Lovely. On top of my troubles, I have to sack and find a new butler."

"Worry about your servant later. Why is His Majesty mad at you?"

Perseus let out a heavy sigh as he flopped into an armchair. With much reluctance, Philip shut his book and sat up, prepared to listen to his friend.

"Ever since the party, Elizabeth no longer wants anything to do with me. I have called Buckingham Palace, I sent her letters and telegrams. No response," Perseus resumed.

"Well, you did punch her fiancé," Philip reminded.

"I did not ask for your judgement. Anyway, His Majesty blames me for the fact that the Royal Family is falling apart. Elizabeth has escaped to Windsor Castle, and Sebastian and David are no longer speaking to each other."

"Is that not a good thing? Her Highness is bound to end things with Sebastian now."

"Even if she does, I am no longer in her good graces. I doubt she will want to see me again."

"So you are simply giving up? You have to fight, Perseus! This is not like you."

"His Majesty made it very clear that Elizabeth left London to escape the chaos, and she does want to be disturbed. If I go to her now, it will push her farther away. Do you want a drink?"

Perseus got to his feet and headed over to his drink cart. He began to prepare two drinks, but Philip walked up to him and snatched the bottle from his friend's hands.

"Listen to me," Philip said firmly. "This is not the Perseus Chadwick that I know. The Perseus Chadwick I know is determined and never admits defeat. He would not be sitting around complaining about a failed plan. He would be on his way to Windsor Castle, ready to fight."

"This is different," Perseus snapped, taking the bottle back. "This is the future Queen of England. If I show up at Windsor Castle and she orders me away, it's over. I need to wait until she returns."

"Didn't the Duke of York order you to stay away from him at least a hundred times?"

"That was different. He never gave me a direct order. Besides, I have learnt from my mistakes. I ruined my friendship with David. No matter how much I pretend, I know he will never trust me again. I cannot do the same with Elizabeth."