Chapter Twenty-Two | Robert and Their Majesties

——————— ♛ ♛ ♛———————

A few days after William Turner's article on Darrel, Rosamund sat in her dining room, having breakfast. The door opened, and Mead stepped in.

"Lord Grantham is here to see you, m'lady," he announced.

"Thank you, Mead," Rosamund nodded. "Send him in."

"Yes, m'lady."

Mead bowed and walked out into the entrance hall, returning a few moments later with Robert.

"Hello Robert," Rosamund smiled, going to hug her brother. "What brings you to London?"

"A telegram from Their Majesties," Robert groaned, sinking into a chair. "I took the milk train because they demanded that I go speak with them today. It is as if they assume I do not have a life."

"From what you have told me, they are not the most considerate people you know."

"Very true. Still, it's early."

"What do they want to talk to you about?"

"Most likely my interview with Turner. Anyway, would you mind if I stay here tonight?"

"Of course not. Although I will say, with everyone always staying here, I should charge you."

Robert rolled his eyes and got to his feet.

"I should go," Robert sighed. "I'll see you later."

"Good luck," Rosamund replied.

"Thank you."

Robert grabbed a piece of toast and left the dining room.

A little later that day, Queen Mary of Teck and King George V sat in the library at Buckingham Palace when one of the footmen opened the door for Robert.

"Your Majesties," Robert bowed, clearly hating the gesture.

"Robert," Queen Mary said coldly. "How not nice to see you again."

"Well, if you are so eager, why did you wish to see me?"

"After that interview with Turner, I would be careful if I were you," King George warned.

Robert bit down on his bottom lip, hoping that the less he said, the sooner he would be out of there.

"Sit down, we need to talk," George V ordered.

Robert nodded and sat in an armchair across from the king and queen.

"Well, is there anything you would like to say?" Mary of Teck demanded.

"Hello?" Robert shrugged.

"Your interview was outrageous! You made us look like fools to the public."